Author
Topic: BC-37a 1954 Modified Portrait Solid Serial Number  (Read 8869 times)
CanNoteSteve
« on: August 25, 2023, 01:17:45 pm »

Hi everyone, not my note, asking for someone who contacted me.

I've urged him to have this note certified to avoid arguments over the grade, I'm looking at it and estimating VF.

I know that something like a fancy serial number always falls down to the circumstances of the sale and the number of interested parties, so I'm curious about a general value estimate, I won't hold anyone's feet to the fire.

Thanks!

(looking in Charlton/2023 on p382 I see a "book value" of $1200 * 40% per p381, would people here agree with that?)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:50:44 pm by CanNoteSteve »

[ img ]http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/sndb/sigtag.php?u=swadams[ /img ]
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 08:42:34 am »

In my opinion I think 1954 solids are under valued a bit in the book and seem to fetch closer to $1500-2K at auctions. The grade however is closer to a F15 in my opinion as those dirty creases are not usually seen on VF but that said the solid 7's are popular and $600 for this example would be fair!

KC's Canadian Currency
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 10:17:21 am »

In my opinion I think 1954 solids are under valued a bit in the book and seem to fetch closer to $1500-2K at auctions. The grade however is closer to a F15 in my opinion as those dirty creases are not usually seen on VF but that said the solid 7's are popular and $600 for this example would be fair!
+1 on the first bit & the lower grade. Solids/2 digit radars/errors on 1954 (& earlier) definitely don't get the respect they deserve in Charlton (not sure why). Special # are too rare on the 35/37 series for Charlton to estimate & I guess that's fair but then try to determine their value. Anyway, back to this post, I like the first signature but don't like the eye appeal. Definite design erosion on the reverse 2 vertical folds. Shame it looks like a pocket-piece. The top/bottom borders would be "disaster zones" for most special # collectors IMO. (Dropping.a lot of potential buyers).  Should be white but so much edge wear.  You might get $500 graded but closer to $400 ungraded I believe.  Great find but its really been "around the block" for most collectors. 

BTW: (Not sure grading is going to change the end result: the newbies entering the market may go for the apparent VF of it & really doubt BCS would give that a VF30 Original. PMG may give a VF25 as I've seen some pretty sketchy grades come from them but doubt BCS would).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:22:43 am by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length