Author
Topic: What are they worth?  (Read 14057 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 03:09:29 pm »

Hi Frank!

Welcome to the forum!  ;)

Well, you got yourself a nice 3-Digit Radar. It looks to be in fairly good shape. If you are staring out your collection keep that Radar!

Unless a Radar is really beat up badly it is usually good to keep them. There are many people who collect circulated Radars as well.

Nice Find, it will take time for you to get used to numbers and quickly assess serial numbers and their potential. There are MANY stories of getting notes from ATM's and you may be 10 notes from a radar or something like that so you can calculate how many more notes to get out of of machine before the note you want appears.  :)

I hope you enjoy this hobby and make use of the TREMENDOUS resources and knowledge available from the members of this forum.

Cheers!  8-)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
CelticFC
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 03:15:34 pm »

X,

The '3' being double in the leftside serial# Makes no difference to its value then?
See page one for snapshot.
Frank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:16:22 pm by CelticFC »
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 04:25:38 pm »

Hey Frank!

What makes it a Radar is that if you start reading the serial number starting from the front of the serial or the back it is still the same serial number.

Here are 3 common examples of 3-Digit Radar Notes:

1233321, 1213121, 1123211

(Your Note is the same as the first example)

Now here is another Radar note but being a 4-Digit Radar

What makes the difference between the category of radar notes is how many different digits the first 4 numbers are composed of (First set of examples there are only a total of 3 DIFFERENT Digits  thus a 3-Digit Radar, the second example there are 4 DIFFERENT digits thus a 4-Digit Radar).

So now a 2-Digit Radar would only be composed of 2-Digits
(1112111, 1122211, 1222221)

As you can see, the first 4 Digits of the serial number are only composed of 2 different digits.

But if you look, Additionally to this they are still Radar notes (Same serial reads forwards and backwards the same).

Some Collectors collect 2-Digit Notes (Entire serial is only 2-Digits but does not meet the criteria for a Radar Note)

Example:
1112121, 1122221, 1222222 (You get the idea)

I hope this helps you understand. I do suggest buying a copy of the Charlton Catalog as it also has in great detail all about radar notes and other "Special" Serial numbers at the back of the book.  :)

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 05:34:21 pm »

All the new $5's have the left serial number printed slightly darker than the right...so that is common.  

However, radars are 1 in 1000 so I'd say that note is worth keeping unless you're strapped for cash, and really don't like special numbers.  The note's book value isn't that much greater than face because of its condition..but not everyone keeps or sells according just to condition or book value. Its a personal decision you must make.  If you go to a bank and ask for a brick (1000 notes) you'd be lucky to find 1 radar. That's when you appreciate exactly how rare they are.  If you decide not to keep it than you might offer it for trade here for a note in similar condition...but of a different series/prefix, etc.  

As others here have recommended...just read through some of the various threads: learn and enjoy...

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 06:48:07 pm »

All the new $5's have the left serial number printed slightly darker than the right...so that is common.  

Agreed. You will also see that same digit slightly high or low. You see it ALL the time so do not get excited about it if you see one like that.  ::)

Login with username, password and session length