Author
Topic: 1954 bill with error - what is it worth?  (Read 5794 times)
boston
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:45:46 am »

Just looking for an idea of what this might be worth (realize it must be viewed in person/condition checked etc.):
1954 Canadian 1 dollar bill, S/F 0519125, Bauery & Rasminsky signatures, error on the back (part of two bills show - about 95% of one bill [slightly off center also] and about 5% of another bill [slightly off center] ... you can see part of the "1" and "Bank of Canada" on the right and then less of the translation on the right [of the other bill]).

Thanks!
boston

Sorry, I meant to say you can see the Bank of Canada stuff on the left (not the right).
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:39:26 am »

Can you provide a scan of the note please?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
boston
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 01:20:50 pm »

The scans attached don't really do the bill justice, seems to pick up parts of the reverse side, but here they are.  If I were describing the bill I'd use this description I found one line (see below), except this bill has a large degree of firmness remaining and the crease is in the middle and it's not overly soiled:

FINE (F) - A note with considerable evidence of circulation. Numerous creases and folds, but a small degree of firmness remaining. Usually fairly soiled and the hue and intensity of the colour are slightly reduced. There may be a slight amount of the design worn off along the major creases.

Appreciate any help you can offer - thanks!
boston
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 01:21:51 pm »

Here is the scan of the other side.  I hope I'm posting these correctly.
boston
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 01:24:17 pm »

Hmmm... scans are not showing up.  I'll try again.
boston
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 01:29:08 pm »

{http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6862/scanerrorbill1954.jpg:http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6862/scanerrorbill1954.th.jpg}

I'm not sure how posting an image works.  It said to copy and past the address so I'm trying this.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »

That's definitely an error, called a "Out of Register Printing" error.  It happens when the sheet of paper is fed into the presses out of alignment during one of the printing stages.  In this case, it was the back of the note which is printed in one complete stage.  Very seldomly seen.  The Charlton catalogue puts a price of $200 on this error, though the condition of your note will hold back the price realized if put up for sale.

No hay banda  
boston
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

Thanks, this is helpful and very interesting information.  I appreciate the help.  Another individual suggested, given the condition, it is worth between 50-100 and this would fit with your suggestion that in perfect condition it might be worth 200.
I was hoping it was a "Devil's face" with the additional error but no such luck.  Sigh.

Login with username, password and session length