Author
Topic: The effect of pinholes? (nice 1935 $10)  (Read 4545 times)
Art_1_ Paper
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:21:40 pm »

Just wondering, how much do pinholes detriment the value of an actual note? The note in this picture is actually a lot nicer than the scans would provide. It is a VF+ but with some pinholes on the top left-hand side.

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:22:44 pm »

These look more like staple holes than pinholes. I think there are 4 of these that are quite visible. This is quite common to see in many old notes and judging by the condition I would not think it it affects the grade or value very much. However if the note is peppered with them even in lower grades it may discourage many buyers and in turn result in a lower price.

In my opinion a few pinholes are trivial to a notes grade or value. Tears, holes or missing pieces will be seen as much more sever damage and will certainly result in lowering the grade.

KC's Canadian Currency
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 04:02:11 pm »

I'd take it down about a half-grade in price. I hate pinholes.
Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:55:31 pm »

I'd take it down about a half-grade in price. I hate pinholes.

So a VF net ?
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »

I think VF, with pinholes. In price, part way between fine and VF....
For someone who doesn't mind pinholes so much, maybe close in price to a full VF.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:44:31 pm »

I feel that it also depends exactly where the pinholes are, in particular whether they are "out in the open" for everyone to see (as with the present note) or whether they are hidden within a printed area. I don't like very visible pinholes that are clearly visible without holding the note up to the light but if you can only see them when holding the note up to the light then that's a lot more acceptable in my opinion.

Also, it's important to remember that there's a big difference between PIN holes and STAPLE holes. With PIN holes there is usually a small paper "flap" that can be closed back over the hole but with STAPLE holes there is a circular piece of paper totally missing with no flap. Staple holes are far, far worse than pin holes in my opinion!

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length