Author
Topic: Run of bills 1954 $50s  (Read 4885 times)
pdbman
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:45:59 am »

I have a run of 1954 modified $50s. 11 bills with sequential serial numbers, The conditions are Unc and AU. Is there more value for the run of notes or are do they have the same value as singles?
Northwest5
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:28 pm »

Most members will agree that there is no premium for notes in sequence.  Although some do collect sequential notes and may pay a small premium for them. 
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:17:39 pm »

There is no published source saying that sequential notes are worth more, but when it comes to selling notes and obtaining the best results, sequential notes do better when selling them piece by piece.  What I mean is this: letting buyers know you have a run of notes gives buyers a sense of reassurance that the notes are of a certain quality since sequential notes are usually in high grade.  By contrast, a single note offered for sale with a stated grade of AU or Unc is given much skepticism and may sell for well below the stated catalogue price.

No hay banda  
therealco1986
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:09:43 pm »

I find the complete opposite.  You find general run of the mill UNC $1 1954 notes, they don't go for much at all, you get a run of them in sequence, the price flies through the roof per note.  I've seen this similarly with the 1970s series notes.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I see this all the time, and not just buy it now asking prices, but auctions.  However, because the $50 are higher denomination, I can see that limiting the market slightly, specially when looking at 11 in sequence.  $550 face..  I bought two consecutive AU $50 notes for about 175.  I'm not sure the book on them off hand, but thought I got a deal. 
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:49:07 am »

Is there more value for the run of notes or are do they have the same value as singles?

- I would tend to agree with the post by mmars.

- depends on what you're selling (& info that they come from a sequential run helps).  Unless they're replacements, less common 1954 (change-over/DF) and prior (1935) - it is better to sell separate.  But I still see runs of rarer ungraded AU/UNC 70's replacements (& some 54's) go for far less than book (if they were sold separately). 

Sequential runs tend to attract newbies (or dealers) & I'm sure that "run of the mill UNC 1 1954 notes" would go for premium (but I'm not sure they're just book or little above).  (I'm not completely disagreeing with therealco1986 as it is an open market and anything can happen)  Collectors will be interested if the notes are rare enough.  Dealers will be in on the bidding early- but they would definitely expect a discount/not a premium price & would withdraw from the bidding when that point is reached.

I think the higher the denomination the more you should sell separately- so definitely sell your $50 separately. 

Login with username, password and session length