Author
Topic: 1954 $5 Notes  (Read 7344 times)
tcelling
« on: April 13, 2015, 12:59:58 pm »

Hi folks,

I recently received some old notes of my grandmother's as an inheritance. I knew nothing about their value so I began doing some research by going through each note via this site: http://www.coinsandcanada.com/banknotes-prices.php?banknotes=Canadian_banknotes_from_1969_to_1975&id_cat=17&id_denom=5

Now, the majority of the notes have serial numbers that aren't listed as "special", so I assume their value sits in the top row (base level). However, I found a $5 1954 note with Bouey-Raminski signatures that begins with *CA7****** (I don't have the note on me but it was in the 7 million sequence). Now, according to the site linked above, this is a very valuable note!

So, my first question is: Is this actually as it seems? When the site says "replacement" prior to the serial number, what does that mean? My note does not say "replacement", though from what I've read, the * symbolizes replacement and from what I can tell, this is the note from the series listed. The note is in near perfect condition with no creases or folds and sharp corners. It was kept in an envelope for ~60 years. According to the site above, it says it is worth $2200 for AU, $3500 for Unc.

Secondly, how would one go about selling this? Would you actually get near the value listed on that site? What could one expect?

What about the lesser value notes? Would one be able to sell those near the posted value (e.g. $45 for a Bouey-Raminski 1954 $5 in uncirculated condition with no special serial number)? Most are what I would estimate at AU or Unc condition (or higher, most look perfect to my untrained eye).

Thanks a lot for your help. As you can see, I know nothing about this stuff. Not sure I actually want to sell them but I am very curious as to their real value. I apologize for no photo, as I said, I don't have the note on me right now and probably won't have access to it for a week or so.

tcelling
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:32:57 pm »

Sorry... These are the 1972 notes. My other ones are 1954 and I mixed them up. My apologies.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »

1972 $5 *CA in that range notes do not come up all that often. There are only 120 estimated to have been printed, and no telling how many of those survive today. The prices you found are indeed the catalogue values, but with so few of these notes exchanging hands it's pretty hard to nail down an actual value. Perhaps some deep pocketed collector has been looking for decades for this note to fill a hole in his collection, and will pay top dollar for it. Or...not.

Putting it up for auction and seeing how high it goes is pretty much the only way to know for sure. 

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
tcelling
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:53 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean a dedicated paper money auction or simply a site such as Ebay?

I'll try to get a photo up over the weekend for those interested.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:44 am »

For a note of this value, I would go with the former.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
therealco1986
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 05:00:28 pm »

Are you willing to sell the note to a user here?

Login with username, password and session length