Author
Topic: Bird Series $5 GPH Replacement - 8 consecutive bills mint  (Read 5099 times)
Sonofzzoro
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »

I have 8 consecutive $5.00 insert replacement bills from the 1986 bird series. Signed by Bonin and Thiessen, serial numbers are GPH 9834318 - GPH 9834325 They are in mint uncirculated condition still in the hard case direct from the bank.

My Father got these bills from the bank and gave 1 each to his grandchildren in a hard cover to put away.

It is my plan to have the bills graded to prove to potential buyers their quality. Last night I did a little more research and I now believe all ( at least the two I have ) are error bills as well. There is a distinctive ink smudge on the obverse side near the top of each bill. Each one is different. Also it looks like the back position number is printed backwards. It looks like a backwards 6 and a 2, which reversed would be 56.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion as to whether an ink smudge at the top of a bill would be considered an "error" or whether it is fairly common. Also as I really don't know, is the back position number suppose to be reversed. Also I would assume that the consecutive numbers would make these more desirable to collectors. I see that the trend on these list a gem-64 at between $800-$900. Does anyone have any idea how much premium would be garnished by having consecutive fairly rare bills in perfect condition ?

Relative new to looking into this so any help appreciated.

Thanks

John

ps - will post pictures when I get all the bills.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 02:22:36 pm »

not sure where you got your prices but cat prices in the CGPM cat 27th edition for a gem is only $650.00 or $600 for choice
ink smears on the birds series is very common on most denominations and in my opinion not an error but something that distracts from a nice note
as for selling consecutive notes for more I don't see the advantage as the prices are steep enough where the average collector will unlikely not want more than one
remember these are cat prices and in this market you are likely to get much less
nice find however...
pictures of the plate numbers would be nice to see
and welcome to the forum

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Sonofzzoro
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 02:39:54 pm »

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:49:53 pm »

Got my estimates here. Not sure if their right. Thanks for the help

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/banknotes-prices.php?banknotes=Canadian_banknotes_from_1986_to_1991&id_cat=18&id_denom=5

You should use the Canadian Government Paper Money Catalogue ...the prices on the site you are looking at are outdated and many are way over current market trends...I assume the site has not updated their info.
The new edition (28th) should be out in the early summer or use the current 27th addition (available online or at most large bookstores ie Chapters)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length