Author
Topic: 1923 domion of canada 25 cents. Same serial number, different letter.  (Read 4116 times)
ogopogo

Anyone have an idea as to the value of these?
I picked them up from 2 different people.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 06:35:31 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

Well, that's certainly not something you'd see every day!  That basically means that the two notes were on the same sheet but in different positions.  They most likely would have circulated to two different locations, though there is a possibility that they were delivered new to the same bank.  Once there however, they would have gone their separate ways most likely never to see each other again.  It is amazing that you have been able to find that pair.

(PS: I have no idea what value to assign).

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious

I just checked the catalogue concerning 1923 shinplasters and the information is quite scant.  There is no information about how these notes were released to financial institutions, and there is no information about sheets (or partial sheets) being in private collector hands.  This is in contrast to past shinplaster issues which were known to be handled in sheets.  So finding two notes with the same sheet number (meaning they came from the same original sheet) is quite a novelty.  Unfortunately, I don't think that novelty translates into much extra value.  In average circulated grade, these notes are worth around $15 apiece.  Together, you should certainly find someone who can offer $30 as the novelty of the matching serial numbers will make it easier to sell them, but it's hard to say how much more you could get if you held out for a higher price.  I think $50 is reasonable as an asking price.

No hay banda  
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency

If your selling please let me know as I would consider owning these!

Cheers

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length