Author
Topic: 1935 Bank of Canada $50 Banknote  (Read 6363 times)
Deleted Member
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:57:22 pm »

Hi,

I have this note and am looking for some help in regards to value. Not many for sale, so I'm tempted to sell but don't know what a fair price is.
Also, would it be worth sending to PMG to get graded? Do you think it would come back at the same grade, give or take?

Thanks,
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:30:07 pm »

Sorry, having trouble loading pics.
It is a BCS graded 40.
If you PM me, I can email pics.

Thank you

I have loaded images of the note for you.  As I mentioned in my email to you earlier:

"Well I think that you may have overpaid (CAD $2800 + Bidders Premium + HST) for that note at the A.H. Wilkens auction in Oakville today.

I was on the Floor at the auction with numerous other dealers and collectors and viewed the note personally yesterday.

I don’t think you will get more than you paid for the note considering the major stain and damage to the note in the left margin."

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:08:22 pm »

Hi,

I have this note and am looking for some help in regards to value. Not many for sale, so I'm tempted to sell but don't know what a fair price is.
Also, would it be worth sending to PMG to get graded? Do you think it would come back at the same grade, give or take?

Thanks,

I neglected to answer your question about PMG grading of the note.

PMG will provide you a "Net" grade for the note whereas BCS will grade the note as if there was no damage (i.e. stain) and list the stain in their comments.

PMG will provide a Net grade taking the stain into account.  A "net graded" note is one which has had an adverse occurrence after it left the printers.  PMG understands that such a note can still be rare and valuable. Instead of returning it ungraded, PMG will holder and authenticate it as a "Net Graded".  PMG will specifically state the reason(s) why any note is net graded. The PMG guarantee is not valid on any net graded note. Listed here are a few examples of why a note may be "net graded": tear, corner missing, repaired, re-embossed, washed, stained, ink or writing and PVC damage.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length