Author
Topic: Ten One thousand dollar bills  (Read 4149 times)
nebulatig
« on: November 22, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »

Hi,

New poster but I've been lurking for a while.

I inherited these several years ago. I'm thinking they probably aren't worth much more than face value so I may be better off just depositing the money and investing it.

I notice there is one that has low serial number. Is there any worth in hanging onto these?
nebulatig
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »

I thought I attached a picture. I'll try again.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:11:14 pm »

All are the common EKA variety (no premium there).  The notes ending in serial number: XXXXX16, __69, ___33 look to be almost VF which are no more than Face value in the book ($1000).   Notes ending in __43 & __13 appear to have tape on them further decreasing their collectible status (ie making them "spenders"). The note ending in __13 is 3 numbers more than a repeater so no number appeal there (its not a low #).  The other 5 notes may be in slightly better shape but not Uncirculated & IMO I could definitely put them to better use than sitting in my SDB- unless you really like to keep them b/c of their aesthetics or for sentimental reasons.  The big problem with selling $1000.00 notes is that they do not generally attract much of a following, they're expensive to sell & they tend to have weak market appeal.

nebulatig
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »

Thanks, that's what I thought.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:21:13 pm »

Some coin dealers will buy the notes for a slight premium.  I sold some of the notes to dealers between $1,020 to $1,050 a piece.   There is still demand for these $1000 notes in the underground economy!  Why carry 60 x $100 notes when 6 of these notes are much easier to transport. 

Go to a dealer before you deposit these notes for face value. 

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length