Author
Topic: $1000 note status  (Read 14225 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:21:14 pm »

I have often heard here and in other places that financial institutions are *required by law* to return any $1000 notes to the central bank for destruction.  But I cannot find any reference for this.  All I can find is this BoC press release, which says that banks are requested to return them. 

Can anyone point me towards the definitive answer? 

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:40:16 pm »

The only thing I can say is that I spoke to 5 different branch managers for the TD Canada Trust and I was told they cannot hand them out and that they must be returned. The problem being that once the transaction took place as a deposit it is recorded and  withdrawing it will flag the transaction.
Unless you could actually do a private transaction in the bank before the tellers recieve it that would be your only hope.
As for other banks I dont know ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
bwho9d
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:14:05 pm »

Quote from: Bank of Canada
The $1000 notes will be withdrawn over time with the help of financial institutions, which have been asked to return the notes to the Bank of Canada as they are deposited or exchanged by the public. blah blah blah

I'm confused.  ???
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:19:01 pm by Neon Zidane »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 07:28:07 pm »

A request from the BoC was sent to all Canadian banks requesting that upon the deposit or redemption of any $1000 notes by customers, all such notes be returned to the BoC instead of being recirculated. Same request applied to any stocks of $1000 notes being held by the banks. It was effectively an active withdrawal of these notes from circulation as soon as they came into any Canadian financial institution.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
bwho9d
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:38:05 pm »

A request from the BoC was sent to all Canadian banks requesting that upon the deposit or redemption of any $1000 notes...

Does this also apply to US or foreign banks?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:00:42 pm »

The Bank of Canada may have issued requests to foreign banks, but if the request was made, it would only be honoured as a courtesy to the Bank of Canada. Foreign financial institutions are under no obligation to honour BoC requests.

(That said, I'm sure there is some kind of loophole where the BoC could assert ownership of the notes themselves and could pursue legal avenues to reclaim the notes, but something like that would probably amount to a rather exceptional set of circumstances).

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:46:55 pm »

I understand that financial institutions have been requested to turn them in.  But I keep hearing, especially from banks, that "we are required by law to return them to the Bank of Canada for destruction."  If there is such a law, then there should be an Act of Parliament in effect for this.  But I can find no such thing. 

All I can think of is that financial institutions might have signed legal agreements with the BoC saying that they will return $1,000 notes if they receive them.  If that is the case, the banks would not be breaking any laws by recirculating $1,000 notes; rather they would be in violation their contractual obligations with the BoC which might make them subject to a civil suit.  But I have not found any reference of such an agreement either.

Can anybody really confirm this?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:33:05 pm by Seth »

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:35:32 pm »

That is funny,

I asked my branch today and they are unable to "Record" $1000 notes in the system. They enter them as 10 $100 notes as there are no provisions for $1000 and $2 notes.  They Process $2 notes as coin.

I have had branches give me $1000 notes whenever they come in. So it just depends on the branch and if you are a really good customer.  ;)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 11:45:38 am »

Thanks, X-Savior. 

Last call for any definitive, verifiable proof that financial institutions are really required to turn in $1,000 notes.  Since nobody can locate anything I now believe there is no requirement, and all that is in effect is a "would you could you please" type request.

If a bank won't give me a $1,000 note because that is their internal policy, well I can't really argue because they have me under a barrel.  But if they claim that that policy is because of a "legal requirement" I am going to start to argue!

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 03:06:56 pm »

I would like to share a portion of an email that I received and according to the way it is worded I still think that it is the banks that do this by choice and not because of any law that requires them to do it

This is in response to your email inquiry asking if a Financial Institutions can put back into circulation a  $1000 bank note that was received from a previous deposit.

Financial institutions are no longer able to obtain the $1000 note from the Bank of Canada. This withdrawal process is carried out entirely through the financial institutions.
This decision was recommended by the Department of Finance in consultation with the Bank of Canada, the federal Solicitor General, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and other Canadian law enforcement agencies.

The $1000 notes that are still in circulation can be redeemed (that is, exchanged or deposited) at Canadian financial institutions. These notes remain legal tender and retain their full face value, as do all Bank of Canada notes that are no longer issued, such as one- and two-dollar notes.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for your interest in Canadian currency.

Regards,

Carol Ann Levett
Client Service Representative
Bank Note Communication Team
Bank of Canada
1-888-513-8212
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:10:18 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:48:18 pm »

Well, I think that confirms it.  There's no law about it.  The status of the $1,000 note appears to be identical with the status of the 2001 $10 note.  It seems that financial institutions are simply requested to return them, but they can still quite legally give them out.

Thanks, friedsquid!  I think this can now be put to rest.

d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 01:28:30 am »

I don't have problems getting $1000 dollar bills, whenever my local branch gets them in, they ask if I want them, got several last fall a bunch turned up, but most weren't in the greatest shape, mostly 1954s. I returned most of them.
hanmer
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 10:33:27 am »

A frind of mine was a bank manager at a small CIBC branch in a small town north of Sudbury. It's an old railway town, lots of old money still floating around. When I asked him if he's watch for old bills for me one evening, he told me about a transaction he had completed a couple of weeks ago. It was a safe find, 39 x $1000. I asked him if QE II was on them. He said it was a mixture of a young king and an old king (wasn't sure if there were french ones). Most were in poor shape, but I guess there were a couple in very nice condition. I asked him if the bills were still there, thinking I'm getting a loan and I'll see you Monday morning. He indicated he would have given them to me if they were there, but they had been returned to B o C. How fast would a 1935 $1000 move on this board in any condition?

:'(

:)
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 11:01:19 am »

That would be a sick feeling.... I wouldn't be able to eat for a week ( and that's saying something!! :) )
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:06:35 pm »

It was a safe find, 39 x $1000. I asked him if QE II was on them. He said it was a mixture of a young king and an old king (wasn't sure if there were french ones).

Here's another factoid that might make your stomach turn over a little more...

Both the 1935 and 1937 $1000 had an identical portrait of Sir Wilfrid Laurier on it.  If the bank manager said that there were two different portraits on the bills, then some of them might have been 1911 Dominion $1000 notes.   Cha-ching!  :o :o :o

hanmer
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 02:40:51 pm »

Wow

I had to look it up (DC-20). Guess the loan idea would've been a good one. They would've been nice to see, back to the BoC they went. Pretty amazing that they were still in circulation.

My stomach is indeed turning.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 12:16:09 am »

I spoke to the manager of my local credit union yesterday when I withdrew lots of cash.  I had requested $1000 notes if they had any.  The manager insisted that they were required by law to turn them in to the Bank of Canada.  I asked her under which law, and she replied the BC Financial Institutions Act (which is not true.) 

I explained that there was no such law, and that many banks are finding it in their best interest to consider their customers' needs over the wishes of the Bank of Canada.  But she still didn't bite.  Oh well.  Maybe that's a line we can all use if we ever need $1000 notes; maybe it'll work for some of us.

bwho9d
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 02:12:38 am »

I asked her under which law, and she replied the BC Financial Institutions Act (which is not true.) 

Living in Burnaby, I went to various HSBC and BMO banks and heard NOTHING about prohibiting the recirculation of $1000 notes (One laughed when I told them). Most of them input $1000 banknotes as 10 x $100. In fact, they would give $1000 notes to anyone who requested them (that's if they had sufficient stock). This was completely a voluntary act and was not mandatory.
schoqmcloi
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 07:54:16 am »

at my bank they told me that there supposed too send them back, but if anybody want some that i would be able to get some. They told me they did the same thing when journey series was release they had to return every bird series bill to the bank of canada and when metallic strip came up the other journey series had to be sent back, but it was just a temporary situation to take out most of the bill as quick as possible. Now they don't have to return them if they don't want to take the time to take them out of circulation.

Serge
bwho9d
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 03:55:41 pm »

MY BANK IS SO FREAKING LAZY THEY HAVE TO RECIRCULATE WHATEVER COMES TO THEM. I'VE BEEN GIVEN BILLS FROM THEIR ATM THAT WERE ALMOST TORN APART AND TAPED TOGHETER!
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 04:05:01 am »

I talked to a few tellers and they said when any come in to there bank it is always a scramble to see what bank member buys it first and they also get it for face value???? Must be nice.

So is that a perk of that job or where would one classify that???? I think that is the way it works at most banks.

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 03:26:31 pm »

Definitely a "perk" of working in a bank, but it treads closely to "conflict of interest" which is grounds for dismissal.

It all depends on how good of a day your boss is having ;)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 04:36:08 am »

Yes I guess it depends on what color your nose is?  LOL
At least now it is not near as easy for them to find inserts like they used to with the Asterisk or the X. They have helped the collector out that way so we do have a little more chance of finding some. I can only imagine some of the finds that tellers get in the older farming communitys. A lot of the seniors kept most of there money at home and then started to put it in the banks when they sold off the farm.

Always keep your eyes open, you might find that special bill someday. You will never find it if your eyes are closed!

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:59 pm »

I have three circulated 1954 $1000 Beattie-Rasminsky notes if anybody needs one.

This is one of the tougher signatures to find with only 60K printed.

The top two notes in scan grade VF/EF and the bottom note is VF.

If you are interested please PM or email me at inquiries@canada-banknotes.com

...Arthur

{http://www.davgro.com/images/CPMF/1954_$1000_Front.jpg}

{http://www.davgro.com/images/CPMF/1954_$1000_Back.jpg}

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length