Author
Topic: $1000 note status  (Read 14226 times)
hanmer
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 02:40:51 pm »

Wow

I had to look it up (DC-20). Guess the loan idea would've been a good one. They would've been nice to see, back to the BoC they went. Pretty amazing that they were still in circulation.

My stomach is indeed turning.

:)

:)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 12:16:09 am »

I spoke to the manager of my local credit union yesterday when I withdrew lots of cash.  I had requested $1000 notes if they had any.  The manager insisted that they were required by law to turn them in to the Bank of Canada.  I asked her under which law, and she replied the BC Financial Institutions Act (which is not true.) 

I explained that there was no such law, and that many banks are finding it in their best interest to consider their customers' needs over the wishes of the Bank of Canada.  But she still didn't bite.  Oh well.  Maybe that's a line we can all use if we ever need $1000 notes; maybe it'll work for some of us.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
bwho9d
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 02:12:38 am »

I asked her under which law, and she replied the BC Financial Institutions Act (which is not true.) 

Living in Burnaby, I went to various HSBC and BMO banks and heard NOTHING about prohibiting the recirculation of $1000 notes (One laughed when I told them). Most of them input $1000 banknotes as 10 x $100. In fact, they would give $1000 notes to anyone who requested them (that's if they had sufficient stock). This was completely a voluntary act and was not mandatory.
schoqmcloi
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 07:54:16 am »

at my bank they told me that there supposed too send them back, but if anybody want some that i would be able to get some. They told me they did the same thing when journey series was release they had to return every bird series bill to the bank of canada and when metallic strip came up the other journey series had to be sent back, but it was just a temporary situation to take out most of the bill as quick as possible. Now they don't have to return them if they don't want to take the time to take them out of circulation.

Serge
bwho9d
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 03:55:41 pm »

MY BANK IS SO FREAKING LAZY THEY HAVE TO RECIRCULATE WHATEVER COMES TO THEM. I'VE BEEN GIVEN BILLS FROM THEIR ATM THAT WERE ALMOST TORN APART AND TAPED TOGHETER!
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 04:05:01 am »

I talked to a few tellers and they said when any come in to there bank it is always a scramble to see what bank member buys it first and they also get it for face value???? Must be nice.

So is that a perk of that job or where would one classify that???? I think that is the way it works at most banks.

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 03:26:31 pm »

Definitely a "perk" of working in a bank, but it treads closely to "conflict of interest" which is grounds for dismissal.

It all depends on how good of a day your boss is having ;)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 04:36:08 am »

Yes I guess it depends on what color your nose is?  LOL
At least now it is not near as easy for them to find inserts like they used to with the Asterisk or the X. They have helped the collector out that way so we do have a little more chance of finding some. I can only imagine some of the finds that tellers get in the older farming communitys. A lot of the seniors kept most of there money at home and then started to put it in the banks when they sold off the farm.

Always keep your eyes open, you might find that special bill someday. You will never find it if your eyes are closed!

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:59 pm »

I have three circulated 1954 $1000 Beattie-Rasminsky notes if anybody needs one.

This is one of the tougher signatures to find with only 60K printed.

The top two notes in scan grade VF/EF and the bottom note is VF.

If you are interested please PM or email me at inquiries@canada-banknotes.com

...Arthur

{http://www.davgro.com/images/CPMF/1954_$1000_Front.jpg}

{http://www.davgro.com/images/CPMF/1954_$1000_Back.jpg}

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length