Author
Topic: $5 UNC A0Z1086060  (Read 3887 times)
jarod
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:58:21 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I have an uncirculated $5 note with A0Z10860 / BPZ0086060, and I would like to know how much as worth.  Any advices from you is very appreciated.

Thank you,
Jarod
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:06:28 pm »

Well, considering that another forum member has sold the same note with last 3 digits 387 and reportedly has others, I expect that there are potentially 400 or more of these notes available, all sequentially numbered. I'd put a price of a couple hundred bucks on them.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:04:14 pm »

I would have to agree with Brent on the number of these notes that exist.  It is unfortunate that error
notes  like these are offered up for sale without the seller disclosing the actual number that exist or
are in their possession.  It is my understanding that the mismatched prefix / serial number note that
sold on the forum went for $850.

Since that sale the next note in sequence was offered privately to a number of collectors (see attached
image) and the seller refuses to disclose how many he actually has.  With the appearance of a 3rd note
from the same brick it can be assummed that a whole brick (1000) of these notes was circulated.  As such,
the market value must be adjusted accordingly.

Collectors are quick to rush to buy modern errors or apprently scarce notes without allowing time to pass
in order to determine their true scarcity.  This was reinforced by the recent hoard of UNC 2003 BER notes
that showed up on the forum, at shows and in a recent eBay live auction, that all came from the same
brick.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Tommy6301
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:13:17 am »

I would have to agree with Brent on the number of these notes that exist.  It is unfortunate that error
notes  like these are offered up for sale without the seller disclosing the actual number that exist or
are in their possession.  It is my understanding that the mismatched prefix / serial number note that
sold on the forum went for $850.

Since that sale the next note in sequence was offered privately to a number of collectors (see attached
image) and the seller refuses to disclose how many he actually has.  With the appearance of a 3rd note
from the same brick it can be assummed that a whole brick (1000) of these notes was circulated.  As such,
the market value must be adjusted accordingly.

Collectors are quick to rush to buy modern errors or apprently scarce notes without allowing time to pass
in order to determine their true scarcity.  This was reinforced by the recent hoard of UNC 2003 BER notes
that showed up on the forum, at shows and in a recent eBay live auction, that all came from the same
brick.
i

Login with username, password and session length