Author
Topic: BAI versus CBN in the SNDB  (Read 4174 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:00:07 am »

Hi,
While looking at the position pair tables on the SNDB, I noticed that the number of notes represented by the CBN is comparatively less than BAI across the board.  Is there a reason for this?  Or, does it just mean that BAI is printing more notes than CBN?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:05:02 am »

BAI is printing the $5 and $10 notes exclusively and they have a fair share of the $20s. As these are the cheaper notes, larger quantities are available for collectors to thumb through. $1000 gets me two whole bundles of $5 notes and if they're all circulated, I can input 200 notes to the SNDB. That same $1000 will only get me 10 $100s.

In addition, late last year there was a strong effort to search as many $10 notes as one could in hopes of finding a BTT/BTU $10 on $20 error note, or a BTV note. This hugely boosted the number of $10 notes in the SNDB, further tipping the scales in BAI's favour.

Is it an accurate representation of what notes are out in circulation? Maybe not, but it's getting there.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 02:43:30 pm »

In other words, $5 and $10 notes are disproportionately overrepresented in the database because these are the denominations people like to search and report for various reasons.  If I didn't make an effort to report $20 notes like I have, the imbalance would be even greater.  The Bank of Canada estimates that 60% of all notes in circulation are $20 notes, while the SNDB contains only about 32% of this denomination.

No hay banda  
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:37:22 pm »

I now make an effort to report all of my $20s every time I go to the bank machine.   :)

An odd thing happened to me last week though...I withdrew $300 from an RBC branch in Toronto's Chinatown and when I entered these 15 notes, the SNDB said that 14 out of the 15 notes had already been entered!  What are the odds of that??    :o

and yes, the fact that the $5s and $10s are most accessible to the collecting public makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:45:45 pm by Dean »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:59:06 pm »

Interesting! Sometimes it could do that if you accidentally try to add them twice. If it happens again, you can always send me the serial numbers and I can check to see who entered them and when.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:10:50 pm »

That's good to know Brent.  Thanks!

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 08:20:46 pm »

I entered these 15 notes, the SNDB said that 14 out of the 15 notes had already been entered!  What are the odds of that??    :o

Based on the notes entered in the SNDB would be 1 in 3,698 or if you're talking about all $20 printed as of the latest Charlton would be 1 in 131,873,321

Regards,
MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition

Login with username, password and session length