Author
Topic: Plenty of Various Bills - 1973 -2004 - Have I Missed Anything  (Read 9710 times)
delacroix
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 11:53:54 pm »

thanks to everyone thus far, i've learned a couple neat details already... :)

also, all PMs should have been responded to by now,
gendis
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »

You should keep all of the notes that are in "uncirculated" condition, i.e. perfect without any sign of mishandling even the high demonination notes.  I would also suggest that you keep most of the "multi-coloured" notes (especially the $50's) unless they are quite worn.

There is a show about once a month at the Oakridge Shopping Centre in Vancouer and J&M ususally has a table as do some other paper money dealers.

The collection is quite interesting.  It appears the deceased collected by prefix as well as high value notes.  The 1000's are an easy sell as they appear to have been circulated and, accordingly, have no numismatic value. 

Another prefix collector would love to have "dibs" on the collection especially at only a small premium to face
and you may want to list the notes on this website. 

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 03:05:50 am »

You should keep all of the notes that are in "uncirculated" condition, i.e. perfect without any sign of mishandling even the high denomination notes.  I would also suggest that you keep most of the "multicoloured" notes (especially the $50's) unless they are quite worn.

I would agree with gendis and say to keep the nicest of the Multicolour series, the ARX $2, a few of the Birds, some of the early Journey Series and start by disposing most worn bills first.  There are some nice notes in there that would make great fillers for a new paper money collector having trouble finding some of the earlier banknotes. 

You may be able to get a premium for the consecutively numbered sets and it would be prudent to study the latest CGPM Catalogue if you want to keep some of the ones that may be worth more in the future.

Only other recommendation is to make sure that the Bank you are dealing with is very acquainted with you and that you can verify the source of the bills if you are planning on depositing most of them, particularly since it's such a large amount.  Alarm bells and red flags are sure to pop up, so be prepared to answer some questions if you are planning to make a large purchase..

Good Luck and thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:12:08 am by Rag Picker »

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »

Yes, I concur with Rag Picker. 

When you are depositing the larger bills, say the $1,000 notes, etc., and the older $100 notes, the first thing that comes to a teller's mind... "Where the heck did you get these notes?"   

Anyhow, if you deposit more than $10,000 in cash at the bank, you are required to disclose where the source of the money on a declaration form which is reported to FINTRAC (a government agency) to check if you are not money laundering, etc.   

Smile from your heart.  ;D
delacroix
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »

i've been lucky enough to build a decent relationship with my bank, same bank for 20 years, and lots of the people have been for 10 + in some cases. there were a couple women i dealt with a couple years ago involving a safety deposit box for my grandpa while he was sick. i'm actually quite thankful i do have a relationship with some of them for when i start going there and ask for help with money..

Login with username, password and session length