Author
Topic: 1969-1979 series  (Read 11676 times)
Dlawson
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:51:04 pm »

My husband and I collected 2 sets of bills for our twins and now we don't know how to tell if they are worth anything yet or not! one set is in better shape then the other one, the serial numbers are as follows:

$1.00 -LW5495982-looks worn out, 1973
$1.00 -ECN7679018- better shape, cleaner, 1973
$2.00 -BG4288663- excellent shape, crisp, no folds or tears 1974
$2.00 -BG4288662- excellent shape, clean no folds or tears, crisp 1974
$2.00 -ABF3579696- crisp clean, 1974
$5.00 -30570290942-clean,good shape  1979
$5.00 -30574196795- (light)bank stamp on front, good otherwise 1979
$10.00 -TR0432234-crisp, clean good shape 1971
$10.00 -VV5070314-bit wrinkled, 1971
$20.00 -52335383121-good shape, bottom corner a bit ripped off, 1979
$20.00 -56033214789-been folded twice, good otherwise 1979
$50.00 -EHN5116669-good shape, no tears,  folded once down the middle 1975
$50.00 -EHL2968125-missing a bit of the corner, folded down the middle 1975
$100.00 -AJJ4447373-pretty good shape, not torn folded 1979
$100.00 -AJJ4447373-watermark on top(is it possible to have same serial #'s? I just noticed they are the same, is one fake????)

I also have four 2.00 bills from 1986
Serial #'s
EGJ3866488
BUS3687056
BGU5895932
EGF3218147
all are pretty beat up, have creases in them and some tears.

Thanks for your help! sorry it's so long
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:59:12 pm »

Can you provide high-resolution scans of the $100s with the same numbers? It is highly unusual, but if the two notes are authentic, then you might have a valuable pair of notes. Of course, counterfeits are also known to have identical serial numbers quite often.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:06:37 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dlawson
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:15:46 pm »

so does this mean that both my 100.00 bills are a fake, or is one real and the other is merely a copy?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 05:22:43 pm »

As explained in my email to you, both would be fake.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45:11 pm »

After looking at the scans of both notes front and back I noticed that the green planchettes are all EXACTLY in the same positions in both notes. I also cannot find an AJJ prefix for the Lawson Bouey signatures in the catalogue I would believe that they should be Crow Bouey.
Can the planchettes be removed easily ?
I would strongly believe Both of these notes to be fakes.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:08:30 pm »

I also cannot find an AJJ prefix for the Lawson Bouey signatures in the catalogue I would believe that they should be Crow Bouey.
Yes, I believe you're right... I don't have a catalogue to check, but considering that the last Multicoloured Crow/Bouey note was prefix AJM, I'd be willing to bet AJJ should have been Crow/Bouey, not Lawson/Bouey. As such, both notes are definitely fake. Good catch - I forgot about that.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Dottir
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:02:33 pm »

I've never seen a fake bill in my life, that I'm aware of, and have never had to deal with one, so I'm wondering what is the "expected prodecure" when someone knows or is convinced that they have a fake bill. In other words, what are the rules by bank and law standards?

My assumption is that if I figure a bill is fake then I'm supposed to turn it into the bank so they can confiscate and make sure to register it or something, then destroy it (and there is no replacement value given in return so folks just kiss the money they're out, goodbye)

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:08:44 pm »

If one of the note has a watermark, it's definitively a fake because a genuine note of this serie have no watermark.  Maybe the counterfeiter used a paper watermarked to make this note... ??? ???

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:16:24 pm »

I'm sure if you contact your local police department or the bank of Canada you will be sure to get the same response. Knowingly possessing counterfeit money is ILLEGAL and is a punishable offense

It is my understanding that possessing, selling or transferring counterfeit money knowingly is ILLEGAL . Since you are now aware of possesing counterfeit money I strongly suggest that you turn it over to the local authorities.  The last thing you want to do it transfer it to someone.  Should it ever appear elsewhere it will easily be traceable to you since you have made it public on this forum.  The last thing one would want is it to show up on Ebay or a show were some unsuspecting person purchases it.
I strongly suggest that if you have bills that you know now are illegal they should be destroyed or turned into the proper authorities Atleast this way you will have proof that it was destroyed .

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:44:15 pm by friedsquid »

Dottir
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 09:46:16 pm »

if you have bills that you know now are illegal they should be destroyed or turned into the proper authorities .

My impression is that if you have one that you are "SUPPOSED TO turn it in to the bank or the police and DO NOT DESTROY let them do that???"

I know I always get nervous when I hear about some bad bigger bills (20's through 50's as I get those from bank machines and stores quite often) and worry about getting bad ones then having it confiscated at the til of some shop :D A real hardship for those who's budgets can't afford to toss away money at $20 or so a shot :(
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:51:03 pm »

SUPPOSED TO turn it in to the bank or the police and DO NOT DESTROY let them do that???"

Definitely correct...since the notes are public knowledge it would be better the have the local authorities destroy it.  You definitely want proof that they are no longer in your possession.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:56:28 pm »

If your note fails some of the above tests, it is likely counterfeit.  You should immediately report the note to your local police force along with as much information as you have regarding where you obtained the note.  In almost all cases, you are not able to be reimbursed if you get caught with a counterfeit banknote.  When turning a suspected counterfeit note over to the police, be sure to get a receipt for the note.  If it is real, it will be returned to you.  If it is fake, it will be retained by the RCMP lab in Ottawa.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:07:49 pm by BWJM »

Dottir
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:59:33 pm »

THAT is what I was driving at and what I figured too (and it's what I'd do if I was pretty certain I had bad bills) I figure the authorities probably want the numbers and copies of bad bills so they can file them and do whatever they need to do. ............. thanks Friedsquid.

- I really feel for you folks if you have a couple of bad hundreds and will be out that much money now. Ouch :(

Dottir.
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:22:15 pm »

Hi DLawson

welcome to the forum

I see you have a large numbers of different notes.  Your twins are going to love them.  I would keep them so they have something that is  is over 40 years old.

I would keep them and put them in a frame like i am going to do for my little one.

Regarding the possible counterfeit bill, Yes it is correct to send it to the bank as Brent has written.  I was once at a bank and a lady who checks them out for the government(maybe rcmp) was taking the notes and writing all the information from the teller.

I ask the teller what the lady was doing and she said that they take the bills, check them and  if they are not counterfeit, they return them to the bank if they are real  and the bank calls you and you get them back.

If it is counterfeit it is your loss.  The  only thing you can  say to yourself is well hopefully it wont possibly be found as fake and the police caught you.  You would have a lot of explaining to do.   

I assume if you want to keep it.  You can write in big red ink. COUNTERFEIT and keep it for your kids to see how people would do illegal things to make money.

I know that the forum is a great place to meet people and the people you have heard from are knowledgable.  Just do what feels right for you.

hope to heare more adventures of your papermoney collecting.

It is a fun hobby but everyone thinks you are crazy.

Cheers

Polarbear

Sorry for the screw up dottir

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:40:33 pm by polarbear »
Dottir
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 10:32:48 pm »

Thanks for your welcome Polarbear :) I'm glad I found my way here and have been learning lots.

I'm not the one with the bad bills, have just jumped in to comment and ask about them :)

I can't imagine being in trouble with the law for having been duped and getting a bad bill and turning it in as soon as they know you didn't make it yourself :D (I should think they'd be glad to put another bad bill out of circulation) and assume they'd want to find out where, when and from whom I got it etc so they could track it if they need to.

In the case of the above old $100's mentioned, if OLDER fakes, I'm sure all the info is already known to (the whole story and source of the fake ones) and had by the police years ago already, and they would only scoop the bad bills and destroy them. That's just a guess on my part though.

I just keep my fingers crossed that I never get stuck with bad ones. I'd be really choked!

(oh, I don't have twins ;) I think you may have confused me with another member perhaps?)

Dottir

Login with username, password and session length