Author
Topic: GPM23 Pricing Update Questions  (Read 17027 times)
Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 06:07:59 pm »

1. 1897 $2 DC 14-c: F ($700) and VF ($1,700)

2. 1935 $20 Small seal English: F, ($850)  VF ($2,000) and EF ($4,000)

3. The $4 bill: DC-17a: VG, ($2,000) F ($3,350) and VF ($6,000) DC-17b: F ($1,450) and VF ($3,500)

Ouch! Those are some pretty steep drops for key-date notes. From what I've seen in the last year, the $4 bills availability on eBay is almost non-existance from what it was a year ago... as is the 1897 $2.

I also need to know:

1935 $100 English (VG and F)

1912 $5 DC-21e (VF and EF)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 11:05:46 am »

4. 1935 $100 English VG ($1,350) and F ($1,900)

5. 1912 $5 DC-21e VF ($2,200) and EF ($3,250)

Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »

Can someone who is knowledgeable in the matter explain the drop in the above mentionned notes. I must be missing something. Is it the recession? If so, will they pick up again? I can't think of a reason they would fall like this, these notes have always been in demand and been less and less available on eBay.
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »

Can someone who is knowledgeable in the matter explain the drop in the above mentionned notes. I must be missing something. Is it the recession? If so, will they pick up again? I can't think of a reason they would fall like this, these notes have always been in demand and been less and less available on eBay.

The old saying of supply and demand is truer than ever. This is how I see it currently. Canadians are indebted the most they have ever been in our countries history. The economy is struggling and money is tight. The first things people will cut out when money is tight is discretionary spending such as dinning, trips and hobbies/banknotes. If you have your eye on the paper money market and have participated you will notice that prices realized for notes are selling at a discount to book even to current book. Many auctions are very slow and many great notes are just not selling. Personally speaking, I think that the total number of buyers has significantly shrunk in the past 2 years. Take a quick look at the drop in activity and posting here on the forum over the past few years. I also get the impression that people who are buyers are running out of funds or have the notes they require for their collections. Now add the fact that book values are dropping the way they are and this will scare many people who will rather hold and see if they can pick the bottom. As for how long will it take for the market to recover, again personally speaking I can’t see it getting any better for at least 5 years. Now cross your fingers and hope that interest costs don’t increase too much as this will further drain peoples extra spending money. To be a seller of notes currently is a very tough business but to be a buyer is unbelievable. Take advantage of the situation as much as you can as once the market starts to turn you might kick yourself for not purchasing unbelievable notes which you might not see again for a very long time.

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 03:24:09 pm »

Most  collectibles have cycles.
Some series in our area of collecting were in a bit of decline before the recession hit in earnest about a year ago.
The so-called multi-coloured series was one of those areas in which collector interest was waning after a three- to four-year period of intense interest.
Before that it was 1954 modified notes that were in a tailspin for a while. Even devils face notes and 1937 series notes were flat befor that.
Chartered notes were not popular for a few years. Look at them now. The chartered note market now is hot again, especially nice large-size notes. And I'm not just talking the Bank of Vancouver Number 1 note.
Time such as these are good for collectors in some areas. Take advantage if you can...
gendis
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:03 pm »

I am taking the liberty or "reposting" my query regarding a recently acquired Chartered note.

Can anyone advise as to the current Charlton price for a Canadian Bank of Commerce 1917 $20 note - small Logan R. - General Mananger in small capital letters (Charlton 16-04-20a) in EF and AU.

My catalogue is the 5th edition and the 7th is not easily available in Winnipeg.

Thank you.

Login with username, password and session length