Author
Topic: Error Note Just Discovered  (Read 17671 times)
canada
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:23:26 pm »

I just found what I believe is an error note. 
It's a $20 bill (Jenkins Dodge) with the first letter in the serial number missing from both sides.  The serial number on the right is semi-smeared and placed on a bit of an angle.  The number also looks as though it's lacking ink.

Is it worth a premium?  It's the second note I've found with serial number errors in as many years.  Interesting....

(The first thought that went to mind is it's a fake but upon closer examination it's real legal tender.  Also nobody has erased it:))

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 10:25:14 pm »

Can you please post an image of the note on the Forum ?

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:27:37 pm »

Hang in there...i'm doing so right now.
canada
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:49:34 pm »

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20dollarcdnvb5.jpg

Sorry I had to black out 3 numbers for privacy.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:55:30 pm »

The number on the note does not match any regular issued serial number range that I have in a list.

From the pic of just the #'s, this looks very odd and not normal.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
canada
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:58:07 pm »

The number on the note does not match any regular issued serial number range that I have in a list.

From the pic of just the #'s, this looks very odd and not normal.

I agree.  Collecting notes for years I can tell you it's real and not a fake I found.
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:11:08 am »

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img20dollarcdnvb5.jpg

Sorry I had to black out 3 numbers for privacy.

Privacy ?
For what ? I don't understand that.

Strange for sure. "Very" Strange
canada
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:01:16 am »

Privacy ?
For what ? I don't understand that.

Strange for sure. "Very" Strange

I'm on a quest to find out more about this interesting bill.  I am new to posting note images and i don't feel comfortable doing so.  I'm posting this strictly for informational purposes only and not to make money off it.  I honestly don't need the $100-200 (if that) it might be worth.  In fact I'm planning on storing it in my bank box with the rest.

If anyone would like to contact me privately with more information, my email is hlg2001@yahoo.ca. 

PS:  It is a legit note as far as I can tell.  All security features on the note pass my test with flying colours.
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:10:26 pm »

HI Canada

This website is for the information of bank notes and collectors.  We have sections for counterfeit notes to odd errors. 
The more information that you give to fellow collectors, it just gives more conversation.  I have been on this site for  many years and find the help here absolutely fantastic. 

Do not take the questioning as a attack on you but a desire to find more information on notes that maybe a lot of people have not seen or seek knowledge on.

In my humble opinion

Cheers

Polarbear
canada
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 01:52:36 pm »

For those who are interested but on the skeptical side, I have attached high definition images of both the front and the back side.  I

I studied the bill a lot this morning under the bright sunshine and I feel it is legit.  The only flaw I found is the 6 dots (put there for the blind) on the top left hand corner are missing.  I emailed someone from these boards with numberous (9 or 10) points about the note.  If he would like he could post them because I didn't save a copy for myself.

If it really is a counterfit.  It's one h*ll of a counterfit!  I'm not exactly new to collecting.  I've been a collector for 20 years now.

FRONT

Back of Note **The back of the note is perfect but the when I scanned it the image was cut off a bit>

PS: I can email the scan to anyone who wants them in higher quality. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:55:59 pm by canada »
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 02:20:30 pm »

Thanks Canada.  Great picture..  Did you notice the serial number looks odd.    I have no idea what the prefix would be?  The serial numbers are  are also shifted.  Did you put the note under a black light?  What do you see when you look at this.? Also, do the security strip on the back of the note connect when you look at it from the back.  Overall can you tell me the fp and bp numbers on the note. 

What ever it is it is a great note to stir up a little intrigue. Congrats Canada

Cheers

Polarbear
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 05:57:24 pm »

Any chance the prefix could EZD with the E missing and the Z rotated 90* Both sides....could this happen???? :-\ :-\

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 06:54:51 pm »

This looks like a real $20 note but serial number looks fake. Maybe try a little water on the serial numbers too see if they run.

Gary_T
canada
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 08:05:44 pm »

I examined the note under the sunlight this morning to verify it's legitimacy and this is what I observed:

1. I was able this morning to pull a small neon
security thread off the surface like a real
bill.

2. The font of the serial number appears find to me in both size and type.

3. Neon yellow threads are present all over the note.

4. Both holograms on the notes are flawless.  The hologram thread is weaved flawlessly across the note.

5. All fonts on the notes are flawless and extremely
sharp just like a real note even under a magnifying glass.
Completely unremarkable.

6. Ink colours are perfectly match right across the
note.  No discrepency what-so-ever relative to other $20 bills in my wallet.

7. The watermark of the queen is flawless in the light
as is the '20' watermark.

8. The sheen and feel of the note is unremarkable. 

9. On the back of the note, I am able to see the
perimeter impression of the large 20 that gets struck
on the front like a real note.

The only interesting feature that's missing is the 6 dots for the blind placed in the upper left hand corner. They are completely missing. 

If anyone has further questions/information, please let me know.  I will take it to a black light machine as soon as I can and I'll let everyone know the verdict.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:17:39 pm by canada »
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 10:28:32 pm »

I cannot take the "Z" for a sidewise "N", because of the style (the "N" is narrow and if you look at it sidewise, it will appear as a slightly squashed "Z").  And if I suppose that the "N" is the denomination letter, it belongs to the 5$ notes, not to the 20$.  Strange enough that the printer letter does not appear...

If it's a legitimate error, it a very special one: wrong denomination letter, missing letter, misplaced serial, ink smear in the serial  (both sides).  I cannot exclude the possibility that it's a special case of mismatch prefix in which the denomination letter wheel has stepped two letters ahead (passsing from "L" to "N") before printing, and (why not) all the others wheels by 2 steps also.  So the "original" prefix should have been *LB.  If so, its a major misshaps by the quality control to let this error escape out.  What are the position numbers? if they are under 55, this note is printed by CBN, so the complete prefix  should have been ELB...

This error reminds me the mismatch serial number in the famous 10$  FDT****** , with the blackened squares in the serial...

Login with username, password and session length