Author
Topic: Shinplasters  (Read 7063 times)
woodguy62
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:26:50 am »

If I took my 1937 Osborne/Towers $1 note (UNC of course) to the bank, because it is a Bank of Canada note, they would have to give a nice loonie for it. Question is, what about my shinplaster, because its Dominion of Canada, would they have to honour it or am I out 25 cents?

thx
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:36:14 am »

If I took my 1937 Osborne/Towers $1 note (UNC of course) to the bank, because it is a Bank of Canada note, they would have to give a nice loonie for it. Question is, what about my shinplaster, because its Dominion of Canada, would they have to honour it or am I out 25 cents?

thx

They might even give you 4 shiney quarters for it if you ask nicely. As for the shinplaster I am sure anyone here would give you a quarter for it, so don't worry you won't lose either way ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:31:03 am »

That said..., both are worth a few times face value on the collector market. Offer them for sale here and I expect that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:30:47 pm »

Woodguy62, that's a good question?
Yes i believe that if someone were to return a 25ยข note to the bank they would get a shinny quarter even though it is a dominion note. I think that you can still return dominion notes back to the bank and get only face value. Then the bank returns them to the bank of canada to be destroyed. Sad, yes! But hopefully people will in general be smart enough to hang to them, or of course put them up for sale for collectors who love dominion notes.
woodguy62
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:36:19 pm »

Thanks, what I was really asking is if shinplasters are still legal tender.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

I didn't think you could use Dominion Of Canada money anymore?

StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:02:40 pm »

Nope, still completely legal.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:52:49 pm »

Wow I didn't know that...

Thanks

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 09:36:15 pm »

FYI: No note or coin issued for circulation from any government of Canada (Province, Dominion, Bank of Canada ) has ever been demonitized.
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:19:47 am »

I believe that even paper money issued by the chartered banks is still honoured, as the Bank of Canada "assumed all liabilities", according to the Charlton Standard. I doubt that you would be able to spend the playing card money though ;D.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 07:54:13 am »

Some chartered bank notes are still redeemable...

According to the Charlton Canadian Bank Notes, 6th Edition, p.xvi, the Bank Act of 1890 provided for a fund to guarantee redemption of notes from banks that failed after 1890. So, if the bank merged with another to form a bank that is presently in business, or if the bank outright failed AFTER 1890, then the notes are still redeemable. If the bank failed prior to 1890, then they're not redeemable.

At the top-right of the header information for each bank in the CBN6 (and 5, and 4 at least), it tells you quite clearly whether or not notes from that bank are still redeemable.

While notes are technically still redeemable, most chartered banks will likely give you a fair bit of grief if you try to do so, simply from lack of knowledge, and probably thinking "aren't these worth something? Why are you depositing them?" If you want to deposit your chartered notes, sell them to me at $1 over face and make a profit.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:37:29 am »

You should try spending it at Tim Horoton's.  On second thought, since they wouldn't accept my first series Journey $5, this morning because it didn't have the "face", and told me it was counterfit, I'm sure they wouldn't beleive you that it was real....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:18:59 am by Newfie Nightmare »
woodguy62
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 10:13:47 am »

Great info. I did not realize the Bank act covered some of the defucnt banks.

To clarify, I do not want to dispose of or sell any of my notes. As for selling them for a dollar over face value, if the dollar is a UNC Dominion of Canada $1, I might consider it.

thx for the info.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 03:58:12 pm »

To clarify, I do not want to dispose of or sell any of my notes. As for selling them for a dollar over face value, if the dollar is a UNC Dominion of Canada $1, I might consider it.

Just thought I'd make the offer :D  I hope you realize that I wrote that with tongue firmly in cheek ;) In the unlikely event that you might have considered taking me up on that offer, I'd have set you straight and advised you properly on the catalogue value of the note, etc.

Re: Bank Act - You learn something new every day! :)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length