Author
Topic: A Meeting with Sr. Deputy Governor Paul Jenkins  (Read 7155 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: April 19, 2004, 05:18:51 am »

I had the special privilege to meet and talk with Senior Deputy Governor W. Paul Jenkins in Vancouver last Friday (April 16th) at a recent Bank of Canada Monetary Policy breakfast meeting.

During my conversation with him, I congratulated Mr. Jenkins on his appointment to Sr. Deputy Governor. We then talked about his role with the Bank, and also Canada's newest currency - the $100 note, which now adorns his signature.

He could not believe how quickly time has passed as it was nearly a year ago since he was officially appointed to his new position with the Bank. Over the past year, he has extensively visited various cities across Canada, the United States, Europe, and Asia to discuss about the Banks' domestic and international monetary policies.
We also talked about the Bank of Canada's newest $100 Journey Series Note which features his "W.P. Jenkins" signature. I asked him, "How do you feel about having your signature on Canada's currency?" He told me that he "never imagined" that his signature would appear on Canada's banknotes and that it was "very exciting" when he saw the first new $100 banknote with his name.

He went on to tell me about the security features on the new $100 Journey Series Notes. He was quite proud about the new design and the enhanced security features on the latest notes to deter would-be counterfeiters.

He also told me that the Bank was in fact introducing additional security feature enhancements on the $10 Journey Series Notes and that it will be issued for general circulation by this summer.   There was not much concern or urgency expressed by Mr. Jenkins about updating the security features on the $5 notes.

As for the $20 and $50 Journey Series Notes, one will be launched in the summer and the other in the fall of 2004. He also mentioned that the notes are currently in production. As a matter of fact, one of the notes of the new Journey Series will have a "national" launch in Vancouver, BC. Governor Dodge along with other distinguished guests will be here in Vancouver for this special event. I will definitely be there.

At the end of our conversation, I got a very special keepsake momento from Mr. Jenkins.  ::) It's something that I will truly treasure in my personal collection and something that I had never expected to receive.

Mr. Jenkins is indeed, a very interesting, sincere gentleman to speak with, and a very knowledgeable person in the areas of economic policies facing Canada and the world. Having been with the Bank for over 30+ years, he has shown his work ethics, commitment and dedication for the Bank. Next position - Governor?

With time being precious, I truly appreciate him for taking a moment away from his busy schedule to chat with me. As a Canadian paper money enthusiast and having graduated from Economics, it was a special moment to talk with the Senior Deputy Governor of the Bank of Canada.  ;D

Michael   :)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 05:31:53 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
paul_in_north_bay
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 01:32:30 pm »

That was very interesting reading Michael. Thank you, If you don`t mind me asking? What was the special keepsake momento he gave you?
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 02:24:48 pm »

At the end of our conversation, I got a very special keepsake momento from Mr. Jenkins.  

Perhaps a Knight Dodge Journey $100 test note?  I'm certain Mr. Jenkins would consider such notes (not bearing his signature) as dispensable!!!

Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 11:15:24 pm »

Maybe an autographed $100 bill ???

Philippe
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 04:01:25 pm »

Please do tell, what was the keepsake you received ?

Gary_T
jonathan
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 08:39:42 pm »

Was it a "sample" note of the new Journey $20 or $50 bill?

I figure that if you won't say what the keepsake memento you received from Mr. Jenkins was, then I am guessing that it is a sample Journey $50 or $20, but if it is, I don't want to know.  Let it be a surprise.
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 11:01:31 pm »

Concerning the new Journey $20 and $50 notes...

I predict that the "national" launch of one of the new Journey notes will indeed be the new $20 note, which I believe will be launched in Vancouver, BC on August 25th.  I did some research on the artwork of renowned Canadian artist Bill Reid on the Internet a while back (in fact, just now as well), and it showed his famous works as totem poles, animal sculptures, and "all that jazz", with at least the totem poles located in British Columbia.

So, I can put my two sawbuck's worth on the "national" launch of the new $20 note to be held in Vancouver, BC. on August 25th.

Later,
Jonathan ;)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 08:01:53 pm »

My personal, face-to-face meeting with Deputy Governor Jenkins was almost 100% correct.  He was off on the re-issue date of the revised $10 Journey Series.   ;D

From the Bank of Canada:

Canada's new $50 bank note to be issued this autumn.

The Bank of Canada plans to issue a new $50 note, the final bank note in the Canadian Journey series. The $50 note will be put into circulation beginning on Wednesday, 17 November 2004. The design and security features of the $50 note will be unveiled on Wednesday, 13 October 2004.

The Bank also plans to issue an upgraded $10 bank note in 2005.   :o

Canada's new $20 bank note to be unveiled this month.

The Bank of Canada is continuing its plans to issue new, more secure high-denomination notes in the Canadian Journey series. The Bank expects to put the $20 note into circulation beginning on Wednesday, 29 September. Following issuance, it will take up to two weeks for the note to be distributed and become generally available across the country.  The $20 note will be unveiled a number of weeks before the issue date, on Wednesday, 25 August.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 08:02:12 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length