Author
Topic: New to this collecting stuff.  (Read 4045 times)
Brian
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:54 am »

Good day to you all. As the title suggests, I am new to the Canadian paper money collecting.
 Over the years I have put a couple of items away like most other people, but until just recently never really considered collecting. This has changed for me, as I just acquired a Dominion of Canada note. This is a DC-16..1900 issue $4 note that I had not even heard of....never knew one was printed.
 After receiving this item, and a couple of other pieces...I jump around the Internet and found a bit of information about these notes. (mostly from this site). I also went and bought the Charlton Standard Catalogue (21st edition)
 So now it appears I am hooked....just what I need another hobby... LOL.
 Now I am having a bit of a problem with grading a bill. To my way of thinking this DC-16 would be graded VF...but I may be wrong. Maybe someone here could give me some idea as to where I could have it graded? Also how should this bill be stored? Also, should it be registered with any collector organization? 
 In an effort for a help you kind people might be able to give me, I have scanned the item and will try and post it.

Thanks one and all.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:39:22 am »

On this site you can check the "WIKI SITE" by selecting the button on the top of the screen to see if there is a registry online for the note.
As for TPG (Third Party Graders) there are some in Canada and in the US depending on where you live one may be easier to submit to than another.
If you do a search on this site for TPG or grading companies you should come up with some of the graders that are availbable and their websites describing what they do and prices etc.
Hope that helps

Some of the Grading companies are
PMG         www.pmgnotes.com
BCS         www.banknotecertification.com
CCCS       www.canadiancoincertification.com
PCGS       www.pcgs.com

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:48:37 am by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Brian
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:02:28 am »

Thanks for your input.
 I have been looking in the grading section of this forum, and TPG appears to be quite the controversial subject.
 However, if I read right, as a newbie, and unable to grade on my own..third party might be the best way to go. It's more of choice between grading companies than I should or shouldn't. ??

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:13:47 am »

Before going to get your notes graded by a TPG why not just try to grade a few of your notes the best you can then take them to a local coin/paper money show when one comes to your area.   Show a few dealers and collectors alike and see how they grade them.  Most collectors would be more than happy to put in their 2 cents worth and the learning experience can be priceless.
Remember it is an opinion,,,,not written in stone...but still there are guidelines that most will try to follow...
If you are not sure of any shows in your area just ask on the forum and I'm sure that someone will know of something coming up in the future.

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:26:21 am »

It's a nice note. I think you would receive a "low-end" VF grade (perhaps VF-20 or VF-25) from the TPG companies. It's the three knife-like vertical fold lines that detract a bit, but apart from those there's no real evidence of heavy circulation, just a bit of grubbiness at the left and right edges. It looks to me as if it's been stored in a folded-up state for a long time, perhaps in a wallet or old envelope. I would rate it in "above average" condition for the type. 

Whatever you do, don't wash and press it!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:30:04 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:47:22 pm »

A nice note in any grade.

Rick
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:44:19 pm »

When I first started collecting coins- I stashed some centennial change once the coins started dwindling from circulation.   I then started note collecting later, in the mid 1970's once I noticed the 1954 notes being replaced by the multicoloured series.   I really enjoyed collecting in those days - just for the joy of trying to get each denomination or a signature series acquired. 

Going to universities, and jobless for some time, it was a while before I could get into note collecting in any serious way again.  I had a few spells of employment where I could buy the odd Devil's Face at those dealer stands set up at our local mall. 

When I finally resumed  collecting (around 2002), the Journeys were emerging to replace the Bird series.  At this time, I was learning about the FEE changeover, FDY and other prefixes I could pull out of circulation.  It was an exciting time to collect because there were relatively rare notes out there to just pluck from circulation, or large bank withdrawals.   The last thing on my mind (even then) was grading a note.

Okay- so it took me a while to get with the grading program, and eventually I learned (sure it was the hard way-- but I learned).  What made the hobby more interesting was the info I could get here (on line) or through the Charlton book.

Now is also an exciting time to collect with the new Governor, signature and prefix changeovers, etc.   

If I were a "newbie" entering this hobby-- I would attend the local shows & learn to grade while collecting the stuff that's out there.  I would also seek the advice of the veteran seasoned collectors (but be judicious in what you follow), while trying to focus on collecting a particular series, replacements, radars, or the like.  I think having a clear direction in this hobby helps keep one focused.  It also allows you to sell (or trade) notes that can be used for more desirable acquisitions.

Hope this helps.

W_T_T_W

Login with username, password and session length