Author
Topic: markings at top of note  (Read 4435 times)
87Megalodon
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:35:02 am »

I have come across notes in the modified portrait, Multicoloured, and Bird series that appear to have markings along the top boarder. Kind of like smudges. I'm sure you guys have scene notes with them. My question is regarding grading. Many times these notes are still receiving gem-unc and choice-unc grading. Is this marking not considered to be a flaw or is this just another case of a TPG over grading?

{http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8818/cdnppm.jpg:http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8818/cdnppm.th.jpg}
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:24:41 am »

I see a lot of this on older notes. I think its just offset material from other notes. As long as it isn't artificially applied and was part of production I THINK (I dont have any of my graded notes with me) they dont affect grade.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:32:30 am »

I see a lot of this on older notes. I think its just offset material from other notes. As long as it isn't artificially applied and was part of production I THINK (I dont have any of my graded notes with me) they dont affect grade.

I think the fact that some notes "Do not have this" they are the ones that should get the better grade, not the ones that do...I find these marks unappealing to the eye  :(

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:38:53 am »

I have a note graded by BCS that has these ink marks/transfers on the top border of the note. It was still graded at Choice UNC 64. BCS seldom will overgrade notes, hope this sorta helps answer your question.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

BCS seldom will overgrade notes,
I think in the case of your BCS note why not post a picture of it so we can all see exactly what you are talking about.
As for whether or not the note truly deserves the grade, Steve Bell from BCS would be the best one to ask, since he did the grading and could easily explain why or why not these markings make any difference in the grading process.
I'm sure others may be interested in this information.

As long as it isn't artificially applied and was part of production I THINK (I dont have any of my graded notes with me) they dont affect grade.

I believe it will affect the grade, atleast according to the guidelines outlined on the BSC website

From reading the info on the BCS website a note cannot receive a GEM UNC designation if there is any evidence of what is referred to as a “printer ink smear” however, I gather that if a note has all the other desirable qualities it still can receive a "CHOICE UNC" - 62/63/64 grading. The Choice UNC range is described as having a balance of minor imperfections and desirable qualities. A strong exhibition of desirable qualities, however, may ensure a grade of Choice UNC-64.

If I misinterpreted this, I'm sure Steve can elaborate.

FRIEDSQUID

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:03:01 am by friedsquid »

Daamg
  • Can you ever really get it all?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:53:55 pm »

I have a BCS GemUnc 65 $5 Birds Note with the ink smears.  If i can find it i'll try to upload some pictures so you can see what i'm talking about. 

[edit]Changed images to thumbnails. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:59:36 pm by BWJM »
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:00:21 pm »

This may be rather off topic, but I find amusing the extent to which North American collectors will go to differentiate uncirculated notes and rank them.  It's like average uncirculated notes, in short supply for many older series, are no longer good enough.  But then it shouldn't be surprising because everyone in this hobby is a car salesman, figuratively speaking of course.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:08:22 pm »

I have a BCS GemUnc 65 $5 Birds Note with the ink smears.

It will be very interesting to hear BCS's reasoning behind this...did I not read the info on the website correctly about grading GEM UNC notes ???

BCS
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:47:31 pm »

Hello All

Ink smears often appear on notes, specifically on the 1954, Multicoloured notes, and bird series.  They are not considered wear, nor do they count as a demerit point when grading uncirculated notes.  They are, however, an undesirable quality and sholuld be taken into consideration in the choice and Gem ranges.  For example, if a note has no demerit points, and is reasonably centred, it will achieve a grade of at least Gem UNC-65.  However, if these ink smears are very strong, it will prevent the note from a Gem UNC 66 or higher.

Fried squid, you did slightly mis-interpret the grading description from our website.  Before the statement of the note being "free of printer ink smears" it states that "The variance between Gem UNC-65 and Gem UNC-67 depends on the amount and degree of the following desirable qualities".  I can see how you could intrepret this as meaning that the note must be free of printer ink smears.  The intention is to say that being free of ink smears is desirable, but the degree to which the note exibits these smears is what is taken into account when assesing between a 65, 66, or 67.  They are allowed, but looked down upon.

I hope that cleared things up.  Perhaps I should consider re-phrasing that part to avoid anymore confusion.

BCS
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:23:12 pm »

Thanks for the input...always best from the source... :)

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 09:19:50 pm »

Interesting how a minor printing flaw such as offset ink would make that difference.
That would be a totally subjective thing, which of course what third-party grading is.
I do not mind offset ink at all on even a pristine note.
Interesting also is that large amounts of offset ink produces an error note, the prices for which can be large multiples of the non offset ink note....

Login with username, password and session length