Author
Topic: US coins  (Read 4955 times)
retireme
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:06:58 pm »

Hello everyone! I found a old metal box in my mom's basement filled with US coins
There are nickels,dimes ,quarters,half dollars, none seem to be worth collecting I guess I do not have any reference book on US coins. I want to convert them to Canadian money but the banks will not accept them. I tried foreign exchange businesses and no luck. Does anyone know how or where I can convert these US coins to Canadian money here in Canada preferably in Montreal? I would greatly appreciate any help , and thank you in advance for your help!!
Best Regards  Mike
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:09:38 pm by retireme »
Rusty
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

Two ideas:

If they are not silver ( i.e. pre -1960's)

(1) Spend them in Montreal ... a little at a time (especially the pennies)
(2) Roll them and deposit them to your account (especially the pennies)

Keep in mind that the current exchange rate favours the recipient.

The 50 cent pieces may be harder to unload.

If they are silver, attend a local coin shop or jeweler who will gladly buy them at a premium to face.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:26:08 pm »

Hello everyone! I found a old metal box in my mom's basement filled with US coins
There are nickels,dimes ,quarters,half dollars, none seem to be worth collecting I guess I do not have any reference book on US coins. I want to convert them to Canadian money but the banks will not accept them. I tried foreign exchange businesses and no luck. Does anyone know how or where I can convert these US coins to Canadian money here in Canada preferably in Montreal? I would greatly appreciate any help , and thank you in advance for your help!!
Best Regards  Mike

Try the Royal Bank. The ones in Vancouver exchange US coin for Canadian at their standard exchange rate. Or at least they used to ten years ago, which was the last time I checked. Oh, and you need to have an account.  ::)

Might be better to just spend it little by little.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:44:30 am »

Don't know if you have the TD/BMO coin counters in Montreal, but the ones here in Toronto accept US coins at par (I unloaded a lot of US coins when the CAD was higher than the USD), they don't charge a fee and you don't even need to have an account with them. You just take the receipt to the counter and get paid out in notes.
retireme
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:17:58 pm »

I want to thank all three of you : Rusty, Seth, and CA-Banknotes, who replied to my call for help. I greatly appreciated  your help. I looked up TD and BMO and they have these coin counters in their suburban branches.I will be trying them soon. Best Regards to all.  Mike

Login with username, password and session length