Author
Topic: Saskatoon  (Read 5677 times)
hanmer
« on: December 17, 2006, 03:18:07 pm »

Does anyone know if there are any dealers with store fronts in Saskatoon? I will be out west for two weeks over the Christmas holidays, and thougt I'd drop into a shop to have a look around. Living in Sudbury, I've never actually been to a dealers shop.

[smiley=beer.gif]

:)
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:01:29 pm »

Hub City collectables is the only one that I know of, their website address is http://www.hubcity150.ca/

There is also a coin club in Saskatoon, maybe they will be meeting while you are there?

Regards,

Fenian

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:18:10 am »

There is one other fellow who is one block away, in a building on the corner of 20th street and 4th avenue downtown.  The store is called Sceptre Coin and stamp, and the guy is Gary.   The Sign on the building says something like Venice Boutiques (the name of the mall inside the 5 story building).  It is a small storefront, but do not let that decieve you, he has a ton of really cool stuff. Not too much for paper money usually though.  No flashy lights or signs, just park your car and go into the building. You cannot miss it once inside.   For paper, Bob at Hub City is probably going to have more of a selection.
I deal with both, but Gary was the one I started collecting with when I was about 8 years old with my dad.
If you get a chance to go to Regina, you can check out Goerge Manz, and I think there is another place on Scarth Street downtown.  Saskatoon used to have another person- the guy that bought out COTY from Wilf Latta, but that place is long gone.

I know for a fact you can find information about the Saskatoon Coin Club from the coin store on 4th and 20th, not sure about Hub City if they have that info at hand.

PS: If you are there between Dec 24th and 28th, there is a good chance I will run into you ;)
H

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
moneycow
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 02:02:38 am »

I've always had good luck at Hub City.  Then walk down the street a little further to the Black Duck for a pint.  Also, the main branch from each of the major banks are all within walking distance if you want to try your luck at finding some new stuff.  I got a stack of HPA's from BofM a couple weeks ago...no surprises.  :(

My first and second experience with the guy from Sceptre were not positive.  He won't get a third chance.  Don't ask if he has any Devils Face notes...unless you want an arrogantly-toned, condescending ramble about plate 1 and plate 2.  (...looking for a smiley for "jackass" but I don't see one...) I admire people with a business so successful they don't need new customers.   ::)

Craig
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:08:38 pm »

Weird, I find that hard to believe. Anyway, not for discussion, sorry that happened.  Anyway I have some terrible news Craig, believe me, when i found out I was crushed.  
The Black Duck is OUT OF BUSINESS -- GONE!  However there are about 4 new pubs to take its place ;)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
hanmer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:48:18 am »

Still here in Toon Town. The last week and a bit has been bananas. Visiting cousins, aunts, uncles and a million other relatives from my wife's huge family. Hoping to get to Hub City later on in the week. As far as pubs go, hard to beat Bridges on wing night. Sorry I missed you Huds, wasn't able to get anywhere near the place yet.

[smiley=beer.gif]

:)

Login with username, password and session length