Author
Topic: Replacements?Inserts? explaination wanted?  (Read 3883 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: March 20, 2007, 03:34:50 pm »

Looking for a simple answer. (or a place I can get familiar with the concept)
My understanding was that an asterisk note replaced a note with the same serial numbered noted that it is replacing?
So does a replacement note "X" replace a damaged note with the same number?
And inserts ,are these replacing missing or damaged blocks of notes?
I found one post here, but sitting down with a glass of water or coffee didn't cut it.
After a while was so lost  I needed a beer.  I don't know if that was a good thing?
Any help appreciated.

Friedsquid

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:02:59 pm »

There are several people who can explain it better than me.
When notes are mis-printed or incorrectly manufactured in the process of making them, they are removed and replaced with insert notes. Most often in blocks of notes to make up the same number removed. They will not be replacement notes, but are inserted to make a bundle or brick count correctly.  The originator of the term "insert" note is Gary Fedora. Hopefully, he will give a better explanation of them.

Rick
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 04:05:15 pm by rscoins »
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:01:02 pm »

this is what I tend to know

1937 and before a note with the exact serial number was printed to replace a screwed up, note as of 1954-1975 block of notes where made up with asterisks before the serial in the same range of serial number that regular notes so you could aquire serial number I/X 0000001 and *I/X 0000001 as of 1979 the replacements had a certain serial number range ie 510******** in the bird series the replacements ended in x ie serial ABX 1234567 and as for the newer notes it is anyones guess at what they are now except for brick hunters
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:41:42 pm »

Hi, I know it is tricky...

Here is an excerpt from an email from a Bank of Canada Official to me (unedited):
“The Bank of Canada stopped identifying replacement notes with a special
 identification in 1996 and has adopted a procedure commonly used among other
 central banks. Notes are now taken from regular production and used as
 replacements to replace notes found during the examination process that did
 not meet the quality standards.  This procedure is less time consuming and
 more practical for both the Bank and its printers.  They enter circulation
 through the normal distribution process.”

Okay- now brick hunting by many is needed to confirm the details.
Is it from a printing ream of xxxxx many notes?
This can only be determined by the skip number pattern from one FP/BP combination to the next.
From that, we can determine the ream size.  For example, the current $5s are 40,000 notes per ream (ignoring the residual reams).
Are the replacements in a range of 40,000 then?
If there is confirmation from multiple sources of replacements found in a sheet like pattern, then probably sheet replacements - yes.
Suppose I get four consecutive bricks of AOM $5s. (I am making all of these serial numbers up)
In each brick, note AOM xxxx577 is missing, and replaced with AOK xxxx213.  What that means is that it is likly a sheet replacement, since a SHEET was pulled out (of the 40 brick stack), and replaced with the AOK sheet.

Part I
Now, searcher "A" may find this in Vancouver, searcher B in Edmonton, Searcher C and D somewhere in Eastern Canada.  When we collaborate the findings, we can determine with high accuracy that the inserts are in sheets.

Part II
Are all the sheets in the ream used?  (That means, are all 40,000 notes set aside for inserts?)
Well, suppose through multiple incidents, 4 people find a AOK xxxx213 in a series of bricks.  Down the road, maybe in further AOM bricks, there may be more collaborative finds that show AOK xxx990. Again at another time- AOK xxxx054.  
From this we can see that within a group of 1000 high notes, replacements were found in the essentailly the entire region. Low, mid and high - therefore leading us to the highly probably case that the ENTIRE 1000 sheets were used as replacements.

All the info needs to be collaborated so that we can be accurate in this manner.

Hope that is more clear and to the point.

Now here is the thing.  This above is for sheet replacements.

Suppose it is single note replacements:
I get 4 bricks of $5s.  Each brick is missing two notes.  The notes replaceing them are xxxx005 and xxxx006 in the first brick.  In the second brick, they are replaced by xxxx007 and xxxx008, and so on, making a run of 8 consecutive replacement notes, however found in 4 separate bricks.   Many bricks later, another replacement xxxx0048 may be found...  Still within a very tight range.

These are very much more difficult to find. Instead of the range being 40,000, it could be probably as small as 1000, as if they just took a finished brick out of the ream and set it aside for the replacement purpose.  These notes of course will all have the same FP/BP combination, despite being found in various bricks.

If I ever find any of these, I hold on to them.  I have found none.  Zero. But they are out there... unlike the other replacements which seem to appear on the trading post every so often, I doubt many people will budge on these for now...
If you find one, hold on to it.

I hope this has been a good brief explanation.

Thx
H  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:40:44 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:51:13 pm »

Huds,rscoins, stevepott.  You all nailed it.  Great job.  

Cheers

Polarbear
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:31 pm »

Thanks for the information.  It makes things somewhat clearer.
Next month I will pick up 10 bricks of $5 notes and let you know if I have any luck.
Friedsquid.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length