Author
Topic: Report the "Gold Flag" fiasco  (Read 31119 times)
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2006, 09:20:26 pm »

Actually, I will be selling several of these rare rare notes at Torex  ;D. On a more serious note, I doubt these notes will ever increase in value. Most of the individuals purchasing these notes off ebay had low ebay ratings and had little to no experience with paper money. Therefore once they figure out they have been dupted their will be no one left to collect these notes, except new comers I suppose.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2006, 03:33:12 pm »

I guess Brent's article on eBay has been effective in stopping the nonsense with the Gold Flag/Polar Bear notes...I just saw on eBay today a listing for some regular 1967 $1 notes, with a Gold Flag note being thrown in free!  How quickly things change - now people are giving them away when just a short while ago they were selling for $50 USD or more!!

The same seller is also offering a free Polar Bear $2 note with the purchase of some regular 1986 $2 notes.

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2006, 05:46:45 pm »

I think that is awesome news.  Everyone (especially Brent) who put their effort into putting this scam to rest deserves a pat on the back.  On behalf of many new collectors - (I was one too, not so long ago), THANK YOU.
Huds
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:57:07 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2006, 07:06:29 pm »

Thanks Huds!  And thanks again to Brent for helping with that insightful ebay forum.

I guess  being a "big mouth" can help sometimes  ::)  Its nice to know that the CPM can also flex a little political clout when needed.  I want to thank anyone who's helped in some way or another.  It  not only speaks well of all collectors/dealers concerned -- but spruces up our general reputation when we put a stop to such scams.

Incidently (on another matter entirely) if interested you may like to read my letter to the editor of CCN.  It pertains to the growing # of paper money enthusiasts and the lack of paper money coverage in the CCN.  I will insert it into a new thread here.

Cheers!

James

PS: look forward to seeing  you Huds at the Falls!

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2007, 12:28:03 am »

Not Again!!!!  :o

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2007, 08:03:39 am »

This year is the 20th anniversary of the $1 coin.  I'm still waiting to see the "special edition" 1973 $1 notes stamped with a golden loonie double-dated 1987-2007  ::)

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2007, 06:36:40 pm »

This year is the 20th anniversary of the $1 coin.  I'm still waiting to see the "special edition" 1973 $1 notes stamped with a golden loonie double-dated 1987-2007 

At the height of the popularity of GOLD FLAG notes there was a $1 note with a loonie with 1987-2007 mentioned aswell as a BRONZE BEAR $2 note.I think the most I had seen one gold flag note sell for was $65. CND. and $40 was common.

I'm happy to see that none of these recent GOLD FLAG notes have been sold yet.

I still have a few sellers I will not buy from because of the fact that they have taken advantage of newcomers in the past by selling home made gold flag notes as well as hand made cutting errors cut from sheets of notes.Even if they were selling $100 notes for $5 I would not buy from them.

Gary_T
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2007, 07:09:47 pm »

I think the most I had seen one gold flag note sell for was $65. CND. and $40 was common.

Gary-- I didn't realize that the frenzy for the "Gold Flag" had gotten so out of hand.

I still have a few sellers I will not buy from because of the fact that they have taken advantage of newcomers in the past by selling home made gold flag notes as well as hand made cutting errors cut from sheets of notes.

I have written an eBay Guide about this manufactured cutting error problem.  I have also emailed several bidders who are unknowingly bidding on such "manufactured errors."  I've tried to report a few of the sellers but to no avail (you cannot report a seller unless you have a transaction with them).

Even if they were selling $100 notes for $5 I would not buy from them

I feel exactly the same and its good to know that there are other members out there who feel the same ..

hanmer
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2007, 09:42:53 pm »

One of these is currently on E Bay right now, price is $23. Currently two bidders, one newbie and one with some feedback. Hate to see it. I sent the link to the guide to both of them, but someone is likely going to get stuck with it.

:)

:)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

I also sent an email to both of the eBay bidders.

Hopefully if they hear from two different eBay members, and view the eBay guide, they will be swayed
away from purchasing this note.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2007, 10:26:31 pm »

It looks like the Gold flags are making a comeback.  In addition to the one currently listed on eBay,
a different seller sold 5 of these notes as a Buy It Now on April 26th for US $14.95 each.

See eBay item # 290109304311

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2007, 10:34:49 pm »

Just after this auction ended I tried to contact the buyer of these notes to warn him but I was not allowed I guess because the auction had already ended?

This sale was a shame because this was this buyers first transaction. I was hoping that the buyer with a feedback of zero may not pay for these notes.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:37:49 pm by Gary_T »

Gary_T
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2007, 05:01:19 pm »

Just after this auction ended I tried to contact the buyer of these notes to warn him but I was not allowed I guess because the auction had already ended

I've tried to warn a few bidders about the manufactured errors (cutting off a sheet) and got a warning about contacting another ebay member when I had no transaction with him/her.  I also tried to report the seller (as fraudulent activity) and was blocked because I didn't buy from him.

Its extremely frustrating how few checks and balances are currently in this system.  Its fraught with abuse.  I know of a person who auctioned off an "air guitar" and sent the "winner" an empty box!

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2007, 05:17:57 pm »

I know of a person who auctioned off an "air guitar" and sent the "winner" an empty box!
That has gotta be the funniest/saddest things ever to have happened since the dawn of time.  I wil be sharing that one with my students when we talk about business.

Speaking of which, there is one on right now!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Custom-Gibson-Les-Paul-Electric-AIR-GUITAR-NEW_W0QQitemZ250112055684QQihZ015QQcategoryZ621QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(Not note related, so not sure if I can post it)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 05:19:40 pm by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length