Author
Topic: Dry spell at the banks  (Read 6045 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:52:18 am »

When I go to the bank. I  ask tellers if they have any "spenders" to trade.  Usually, I manage to get a few $1, $2 maybe some multicoloured bills, sometimes the odd 50 cent piece.  Lately, (last 2-3 months) I have had NO luck at all getting anything from the banks.  Are they under stricter orders to withdraw currency now that polymer is out?

These are ellers that know me well.  Maybe there is less stuff out there...

Dean

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »

Usually, I manage to get a few
Dean

Man I should try. Thank you for the idea.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:19:38 pm »

Usually, I manage to get a few $1, $2 maybe some multicoloured bills, sometimes the odd 50 cent piece.

I can only imagine this in my dreams!  :D 

But more seriously  ::)
Lately, I've been taking out large withdrawals of $5.00 & $10.00 in the (vain) hope I might find something worthwhile (a keeper).  In the 3 months I've been doing this I've found a couple limp radars.  Most often if I find anything remarkable they're always "This hurts" categories (like 1 number away from 2 digit radar)  :'(.  That's my luck...

Re: Dry Spell & fatigued notes:
What I've noticed though is that the FIVES/TENS that I've been getting are just the most filthy rags I've seen in some time.  Its like the BOC has strict rules to re-use notes that have been taped, greased over, painted or have the firmness of toilet paper.   I have to wear gloves to inspect these awful specimens LOL.  Notes that are 7 years (for TENS) and 10 years old (non-security FIVES) are popping up like never before in my searches.  Does anyone feel this might be due to the upcoming Polymer release (they've been ordered to stop any new releases and just keep using the old stuff as long as possible)?   

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:23 pm »

...  Does anyone feel this might be due to the upcoming Polymer release (they've been ordered to stop any new releases and just keep using the old stuff as long as possible)?  

No, it's a very normal phenomenon with banks.  Every time I get $5 and $10 notes from the bank, many are of a quality so low that I would cringe at the thought of trying to put them in a change machine for fear of jamming.  It's normal for older notes to resurface in bunches because sometimes older inventory comes out of hiding.  Of course, we know why soiled and defective notes are commonly given out by banks... it's because all the newer notes are being siphoned off by the brick hunters.  >:(  ;D

No hay banda  
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »

I feel as if banks like giving out tatty notes over the counter, or they just give out whatever clients bring it without screening it for condition when they use those teller dispensers.

I've still been getting lots of crisp tens every visit to the Scotia cash machine. Just missed a solid though (I suspect someone took it somewhere along the way.)
FogDevil
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:13 pm »

Yeah, it seems like the odds of getting crisp $10 bills over the counter now, you may have a better chance of winning $100 on a pull-tab ticket.

Last July, when I was shopping at a Sobeys outlet, I was talking to a Scotiabank employee that works (or worked) for a branch that used to be heavily dependent on crisp $10 bills that I haven't gone to since June 2007.  She told me that the number of crisp $10 bills being delivered to that branch have gone down - BIG TIME!  And the branch I deal with (located adjacent to the Sobeys where I shop), I haven't set foot into it since July.  It seems as if my faith for crisp bills - unless it has to do with $20, $50, and $100 bills - is lost until later this year.  I have a gut feeling they are heavily recycling the $5's and $10's like there's no tomorrow because they probably have to save money to print the upcoming Polymer bills at some point this year.  It may cost more to produce a Polymer banknote than it is to produce a paper/cotton banknote, after all.  One time cost, long term savings.

And oh yeah, I seem to rarely get a $10 bill in my change even more now, let alone get any crisp $10 bill from the bank.  I bet, for my region, the $10 bill will end up becoming the next half dollar.
tmort
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »

Went to my local CIBC who is really consistent for having crisp new $5 and $10s. They had some but they are BFM and BFS from 2009, and HAA from 2010. Already had these prefixes too. But always great to see crisp bills.

CPMS member
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:38 pm »

I do get crisp notes - in 5's currently in my area I am getting HPV, HPW, HPH as crisp (AU+) and many time sequential up to 10 notes. Also getting 10's in BFN, BFT and BFW. I also got $20 BIA crisp 20+ sequential.

I have had absolutely no luck getting prefix HPP, and have very limited luck getting HAE+ (only three so far and they were at best sub G)

tmort
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:53:35 pm »

Rupiah, would you be interested in trading a couple BIA's?

CPMS member
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:59:20 am »

I have sent you a pm

tmort
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 05:02:38 pm »

Got your message and replied back. thanks.

CPMS member

Login with username, password and session length