Author
Topic: How to start  (Read 3538 times)
CBAME
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:56:14 am »

Good Day.

I have been collecting coins for years, some from pocket change other from the post office and the Royal Canadian Mint.  My question is, how do I get a hold of uncirculated bank notes?  can i just go to the bank? 

sorry if this sounds dumb but  im curious

C
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:44:08 am »

Good Day.

I have been collecting coins for years, some from pocket change other from the post office and the Royal Canadian Mint.  My question is, how do I get a hold of uncirculated bank notes?  can i just go to the bank? 

sorry if this sounds dumb but  im curious

C

I just sent you a pm explaining some of the basics. I use to collect mint products as well a long time ago and found that if you are in it to make money, it is unlikely that it will ever happen. I believe that it is far and few between when a mass produced coin becomes valuable. Many mint products can be purchased at below mint prices. If you just like the look of the coins and enjoy collecting as a hobby, that's great, but as for future investment potential...I definitely would not recommend it.
As for paper money collecting, it too has its potential to make or lose money.
You have to learn your stuff (and this forum is a great start) as well as learn how to grade paper money as best you can to ensure that you are getting what you should be getting.
One of the first things you should do is pick up is a new 21st edition of the Charlton's Government Paper Money Catalogue. It is the bible in collecting paper money. It has a tremendous amount of information, including guidelines on grading a note.
The $15-$20 investment will be recouped after one smart purchase.
( If you look on this site I believe Brent still has a few available )
As for uncirculated notes some banks may have them on hand, and some banks will order them for you , but there are usually costs involved and certain quantities that must be ordered.
There are many members on the forum that sell uncirculated notes, both current and past issues at reasonable prices.  Check out the Trading Post. A great place to start.
Good LUCK

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:05:50 am by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:47 am »

One of the first things you should do is pick up is a new 21st edition of the Charlton's Government Paper Money Catalogue. It is the bible in collecting paper money. It has a tremendous amount of information, including guidelines on grading a note.
The $15-$20 investment will be recouped after one smart purchase.
( If you look on this site I believe Brent still has a few available )

That is certainly correct... Check out my thread here:
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=8428.0

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
KrispyNote
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 12:27:35 pm »

Please look in the trading post!!!
There are many unc notes for sale there ans since I've joined the forum, My collection has gotten brighter and the people here are top tier and I've been treated right at every bend, Also I think you should buy the book from BWJM as gave me more than I bargain for, Except I want to try the hot wings for a nickel, only we dont have that bar here!!  ;D

Login with username, password and session length