Author
Topic: Canada Post's policy about shipping notes  (Read 6607 times)
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« on: March 02, 2007, 02:36:29 pm »

A large document to read. It is attached. Basically, it is not legal to ship paper money, coins, gold etc via Canada Post.

http://www.canadapost.ca/rates/2007/pdf/Parcel_Service_Guide-e.pdf

Rick
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:44:31 pm »

Sorry, I am not giving a book review, just the link to the post office policy. Ask at a post office if notes, gold, coins etc. can be legally mailed and by what method. They also will not insure them.

Rick
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:51:59 pm »

What I have ben told is that you cannot INSURE cash.  You can send it, but it cant be insured.  Why ddo you think they ask whats in the envelope sometimes?   ;)
Just whatI have been told over and over again at different offices.
HUds

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 12:46:54 am »

I wonder why it is so different in the US that you can insure cash.  I have had some sellers ask me to send cash which I have sent insured due to the value and specifically asked the USPS if I can insure cash and they said yes.  In the US it costs so little to insure registered mail.  $25,000 insurance on a registered letter is less than $40
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:10:36 am »

What I have ben told is that you cannot INSURE cash.  You can send it, but it cant be insured.  Why ddo you think they ask whats in the envelope sometimes?   ;)
Just whatI have been told over and over again at different offices.
HUds
Correct.  Click the following link to Canada Post's website and do a search for the words "bank notes":

http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/pg/terms/pdf/gtc13-e.pdf

It says the following:

D.3 Exclusions and Restrictions on Certain Items
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary and regardless of whether other Items were included in the shipment:
a) Canada Post shall have no liability for loss or damage of shipments containing bank notes, stocks, bonds, negotiable premium coupons, or other securities negotiable by the bearer, coupons (excluding gift certificates), lottery tickets, trading stamps, travellers’ cheques, or any unacceptable item (including non mailable items such as but not limited to dangerous goods, or improperly packaged items) as defined in the Canada Postal Guide.

Bank notes are at the top of the list of uninsurable items!  :'(

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 12:26:01 pm »

I listed the link to Canada Post. One may conclude whatever they like, for the items they may ship. I am not doing a book review on the contents, do your own.

I have shipped multiple thousands of numismatic items. I am aware of the restictions of Canada Post. This is just information that may be helpful to some people.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length