Author
Topic: 1954 $1 two digit repeater?  (Read 5348 times)
Finns4ever
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:38:07 pm »

Hi all  i have a 54 modified $1 with serial # v/z 7444744 signed beattie rasminsky.  Is this a 2 digit repeater?  The condition appears to be F ? (3 folds but still some what crisp) sorry i dont have a scanner.  Any ideas on the approximate value? Any help/comments would be appreciated.............
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 05:52:17 pm »

Hi

This is a 4 digit repeater

7444 744

As for value, due to condition a couple of dollars over face.

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
Finns4ever
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:58:59 pm »

Thanks for the assist!! Still trying to understand how this works. So to be a 2 digit repeater it must be 7474747?....
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 06:01:34 pm »

. So to be a 2 digit repeater it must be 7474747?....

Yes or 7444447 would have been a 2 digit radar.

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
Finns4ever
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 06:05:41 pm »

O.K. I i've got it now.  One virtual beer being sent your way!!!   Enjoy the hockey game!!!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »

Um, technically, it's a "cycle-4, 2-digit" repeater as the repeating pattern is 4 digits long, but the serial number consists of only 2 unique digits.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »

A note with serial number 7444744 would be a binary Class B repeater.  Binary repeaters would be worth more than ordinary repeaters, hopefully a bit more than a couple dollars over face.  At the very least, it's an interesting serial number and that will appeal to a whole bunch of number collectors.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:43:03 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:20:29 am »

Um, technically, it's a "cycle-4, 2-digit" repeater as the repeating pattern is 4 digits long, but the serial number consists of only 2 unique digits.

If we're talking technically it looks more like a 7 digit repeater then a 4 digit repeater. The truth is it would take at a minimum a second note to show only half of the full cycle of a 4 digit repeater and that means one would have a 1 out of 10 odds based on the first digit alone that the second note would continue this cycle.

Their can technically be only 3 repeaters that can be confirmed with 1 banknote, Solid, 2 Digit Radar Repeater and the 3 digit Repeater. Any repeater beyond a 3 Digit Repeater would require additional notes to show the continuation of the pattern.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:20:05 pm »

If we're talking technically it looks more like a 7 digit repeater then a 4 digit repeater. The truth is it would take at a minimum a second note to show only half of the full cycle of a 4 digit repeater and that means one would have a 1 out of 10 odds based on the first digit alone that the second note would continue this cycle.

Their can technically be only 3 repeaters that can be confirmed with 1 banknote, Solid, 2 Digit Radar Repeater and the 3 digit Repeater. Any repeater beyond a 3 Digit Repeater would require additional notes to show the continuation of the pattern.

I sort of get what you are saying here, except the part about the 7 digit repeater.  Every Canadian note is a 7 digit repeater in a weird kind of way.  But the point is taken that Canadian notes, with their 7-digit serial numbers, can't finish on a full cycle of the sequence of digits that is repeating.  In other words, there's always going to be a digit missing at the end (except with solid repeaters, of course).

Because of the missing digit problem, this is why I consider a Class B repeater (or Cycle-4 repeater, as they are called in the catalogue) a 3 digit repeater.  The fourth digit in the repeating sequence is not present on the note, so can't really be said to be repeating.  It's just the first three numbers of the 7-digit serial number that repeats.

U.S. notes, with their 8-digit serial numbers, create a lot more complete repeating patterns.  And, of course, there's very little overlap between radars and repeaters.

7444744 is still a binary Class B repeater.  I use the word "binary" here to mean "composed of two different digits", even though some people object to that.  The binary code used by computers is popularly represented by the digits 0 and 1, but a binary system could be made of any two variables.  Like 5 and 6, A and B, on and off, etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:26:46 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length