Author
Topic: Serial number positions  (Read 7478 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:11:32 pm »

Hi,

Just a random thought here...

Do you think the Bank of Canada will ever go back to printing the serial numbers on the face of our banknotes?  I think they look better on the face of a note than on the reverse.

Dean

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:51:17 pm »

Anything's possible.  But I'm inclined to say no because printing on the back has been the case since the Birds issue (not counting the '79 issue).

What I do wonder is if they'll print the serial number in increasing font size like you see on the GBP or RON.

Marc :)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:31:46 pm »

Anything's possible.  But I'm inclined to say no because printing on the back has been the case since the Birds issue (not counting the '79 issue).

Why wouldn't the 1979 series count?

No hay banda  
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:31:55 pm »

Why wouldn't the 1979 series count?

Because I'm not a fan of it.  It's a bit of an anomaly series; an experiment that flopped.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:39:57 pm »

Because I'm not a fan of it.  It's a bit of an anomaly series; an experiment that flopped.
I disagree.  The series did not go to completion but they were the first notes with serial numbers on the back, something that has remained with Canadian notes ever since.  Being a fan or not has nothing to do with what is fact.

No hay banda  
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:31:16 am »

Well, I disagree with you.

I guess what I meant was that the Birds series was the first complete series with numbers on the back and as such, that's where I begin.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »

Who gives a damn where you begin, the fact remains the 1979 series was the first to have serial numbers on the back.  Even Charlton isn't going to rewrite history to suit your needs.  I could make an equally spurious argument that no series was complete since 1935 as that was the only series to feature a $500 denomination.

No hay banda  
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:55:12 am »

Simmer down!  Accept the fact that you both disagree and move on.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
FogDevil
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 09:29:27 am »

What I do wonder is if they'll print the serial number in increasing font size like you see on the GBP or RON.

I can see a font size change, but not with the same font used from 1969 to 1991, and definitely not with the same font used up to and including 1954.

One thing I also think might happen down the road:  I wonder if the serial number format might change, now that the new banknotes last longer plus BABN no longer prints our currency?  Of course, we could be seeing a switchover to electronic currency sometime down the road for all we know.  Not saying it will happen, but it might.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 05:02:11 pm »

Who gives a damn where you begin, the fact remains the 1979 series was the first to have serial numbers on the back.  Even Charlton isn't going to rewrite history to suit your needs.

Did I ask Charlton to rewrite history to "suit my needs?"

JB-2007
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 11:09:11 pm »

I can see a font size change, but not with the same font used from 1969 to 1991, and definitely not with the same font used up to and including 1954.

One thing I also think might happen down the road:  I wonder if the serial number format might change, now that the new banknotes last longer plus BABN no longer prints our currency?  Of course, we could be seeing a switchover to electronic currency sometime down the road for all we know.  Not saying it will happen, but it might.
The current serial number font size and style that is being used is the same as the one that was used on the 1979 series. If you look at both current or journey series and compare to a 1979 $5 or $20 you'll see how they look alike. I think that maybe one day we may head back into that direction of the 79 series with the 11 digit serial number... we will eventually run out of prefixes.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:17:30 pm »

we will eventually run out of prefixes.

Oh, not any time soon!  If all reasonable prefixes are consumed (ignoring I, O, Q, X in various positions), we've got enough for many decades yet.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length