Author
Topic: Am I A Crook For Mailing Notes?  (Read 5355 times)
Bruxi
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:15:57 pm »

Anyone ever heard that it's against the law to mail bank notes to the US?  I have had a registered piece of mail disappear in the US with some notes and I am embroiled in a prolonged Canada Post and USPS investigation (a little taste of hell).  The Canada Post customer service person said something about it being illegal, but I cannot find this on the USPS or Canada Post websites, and people mail money all the time (thousands a day as ebay packages alone).  It was registered letter mail, so there was no declaration or form - just registered letter mail. 

Any insights or experience would be appreciated!
stashthecash
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:22:44 am »

I know that PMG has a declaration that you fill out when you send them notes from Canada and I understood it as only being required so that no duty is expected on the notes when sent/returned because they are not be sold or bought just graded.
However I have purchased a number of notes from two different people in the US and once my notes came with a Congratulations on your Graduation and the other notes came with a Happy 16th Birthday card.
I was told by both parties at later dates that they send all of their notes with cards because they are looked at as a monetary gift and requires no declaration.
Although I have never been told by anyone at Canada Post that it is illegal to send money through the mail (and they know its is ) I would tend to think that this is more of a US thing than a Canadian thing,,,,
I do remember a while back when I read an article about money used in the drug world can contain traces of drugs so maybe they want you for smuggling drugs across the border  :D
Anyways good luck with your battle and hope your losses are not to great
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:09:45 pm »

I doubt that it's illegal, but I do know that coverage for loss or damage is void on any item containing bank notes. See item 7.2 here: http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgregistus-e.asp

I'm fairly certain that you are out of luck here.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Bruxi
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:04:57 pm »

A second piece has now disappeared.  Unbelievable.  There is either theft at the US facility, or a scanner is picking up the fact that they are bills (they are Journey $100's with holograms).  They get to New York, and the tracking just stops.  Of course Canada Post has done nothing after a dozen calls and 40 days into initiating an investigation.  Not a peep.  Time to call the Ombudsman.

Seth - thanks for that info.  It is another piece of information that suggests that sending notes is not illegal as they just say they are liable for  loss of bank notes, and bank notes are not on any list of prohibited items.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

ibrooks, sorry to hear you are experiencing so much trouble from Canada Post.  You sent your package Registered Mail, you did all the right things, and now you're facing a wall trying to get some sort of resolution/satisfaction as to what happened with the parcel you sent.

Here's a thought based on "United breaks Guitar."  In order to get some action- maybe you can write a song about the experience and post a video on Youtube? The power of social media might bring some action.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Good luck in your bid to get some closure to this...  W_2_W

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »

When I was young I worked during the summer at a Canada Post Facility sorting mail
When I look back I am surprized at how many people sent cash in the mail that was clearly visible to the eye. Although video cameras were set up in the sorting area I am sure people can always figure out a way how to slip something into their pocket if they wanted too.
I think that unless things have drastically changed the bottom line is that there is always someone out there with sticky fingers.
The one thing I think is important is to be careful who you talk to and what you say when you do.  If it is common knowledge that you collect/sell/buy banknotes there is always the possibility that something may go missing before it gets to you.
In rural areas the mail is place in a box at the end of your lane ...no lock ...no security..nothing...the risk is always there...
It was not that long ago when a number of people were complaining that they had not received mail for almost  2 weeks prior Christmas...

It was later found that the mail was delivered but a young couple had been removing the mail from the boxes almost as soon as it went in
They were looking for Xmas money being sent as gifts...It takes all kinds
Anyways good luck

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Bruxi
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »

In order to get some action- maybe you can write a song about the experience and post a video on Youtube?

That is a truly outstanding idea, but I can tell that I am in the bottom 1% of the population in terms of singing ability, so this would only bring more pain and despair to our world.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:23:29 pm »

I'm going to say a few things about the postal system that may be too controversial to stand, but I base everything I say on personal experience.

There is definite hypocrisy in the way Canada Post treats cash.  Notes are considered documents, so they cannot be insured.  However, for the purposes of sending them outside of the country, notes are also considered commercial goods and must be declared.  But why would anyone want to declare cash when the package can't be insured?  It's a definite catch-22 that is absolutely designed to help CP avoid paying for lost items.

I've never had a registered letter to the U.S. fail to reach its destination, but some have been delivered without being tracked.  The problem is that the United States Post Office (USPS) treats international registered letters like regular mail. They make no money from accepting and delivering these letters, so they have no incentive to keep the tracking updated.  If anything, registration just alerts postal employees to the potential of something valuable being inside.  Consequently, I have stopped offering registered mail as a shipping option to the U.S.  Service standards for Xpresspost to the U.S. have improved, and not coincidently, Xpresspost is much more expensive now than it was three years ago, but it's definitely safer IMHO.  I have not had any problems with Xpresspost to the U.S. in recent times.  U.S. postal employees seem to respect the Xpresspost service standards.

No hay banda  
Bruxi
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:51:06 am »

Totally agree.  I am going Xpresspost for sure in the future and would recommend that to everyone who mails to the US.  Canada Post will say registered is the most secure, but once your package disappears they just shrug and say they're sorry.

Login with username, password and session length