Author
Topic: An Oddity (looks to be scam)  (Read 5520 times)
Sonicwolf
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:19:07 am »

I was looking on ebay and I found a 1988 Birds $50 Bill EHP0137149 -thiessen crow-
It has been stated as a test note with these fishy looking 'VOID' words overprinted on both sides. Also, It seems to have a 1000$ bill optical security square on it...

I have never heard of a Birds Bill with any HUGE voids being overprinted on the bill. Especcially In random placement.
{http://photos.icollector.com/photos/cpnum/4395/4395_0698_1_lg.jpg}

[edit]Removed item number. Added scan. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:20:08 am by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:21:07 am »

This was seen before, but I forget whether it was on eBay or in some auction catalogue. Either way, it's up for auction again this Friday night.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:20:57 am »

I would suggest that it was stamped "VOID" because it is a regularly issued $50 bill but it carries the wrong (i.e. $1000) Optical Security Device (OSD). I regard it to be an "OSD Error Note".

If it were intended to be an official "Production Test Note" I doubt very much if it would carry a regular (and high) serial number. On the other hand, it does carry the very first prefix (EHP) for the Thiessen-Crow signature combination.

I too remember seeing this note (or a very similar one) some 7-10 years ago. I have a feeling that it was at a local retail coin shop here in Ottawa.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:18:32 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:06:53 am »

I don't collect this sort of thing myself but I wouldn't turn it down if the price was "right". The problem is that it's difficult to know what the "right" price is for something like this. However, the TICF auction this weekend will answer this question. I wouldn't be too surprised if it sold for only $300 but there again I wouldn't be surprised if it went for $3000!

I feel that the value of this item would be enhanced considerably if there was some sort of official documentation concerning its true status and where it came from originally. If it was an official "Production Test Note" I feel that we would have seen a few others over the years. Also, why would an official Production Test Note have a $50 denomination but display a $1000 OSD?? There are certainly more questions than answers at this stage.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:16:39 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:41:39 pm »

I seem to recall that the last prefix of the 1975 series was supposed to be EHN, and the first prefix if the Bird series was designated to be EHP.   A problem arose regarding the OSD on the new $50's causing a delay in their release and this was the reason that an emergency run of 1975 notes with the atypical prefix EFA was released to fill the need for $50 notes.  I suspect that the above note (EHP $50 with a $1000 OSD) was an example of the problem.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 02:25:48 pm »

the first prefix if the Bird series was designated to be EHP.   A problem arose regarding the OSD on the new $50's causing a delay in their release and this was the reason that an emergency run of 1975 notes with the atypical prefix EFA was released to fill the need for $50 notes.  I suspect that the above note (EHP $50 with a $1000 OSD) was an example of the problem.  
The above hypothesis (including the note with the $20 OSD) that they're early error notes sounds far more likely than a $50 test note.  Note also how the OSD is placed above the 5 of the 50 marker in the example with the $20 OSD while the first example the OSD seems misplaced?  The $1000 OSD seems to be too far to the left (towards the centre of the note) like a double error.

The BOC have never issued a test note higher than $5.00.  Why would they suddenly use $50 which have a much longer "shelf or cirulation life?"

I think the note is being misrepresented by the label of "TEST NOTE" but rather it is an error as "Ottawa" first suggested.   A note mislabelled as "TEST" in a public auction could meet with over zealous bidding-- yet it certainly is a unique item.

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 07:56:46 am »

....... I wouldn't be too surprised if it sold for only $300 but there again I wouldn't be surprised if it went for $3000!
And at the end of the day it apparently sold for a cool $3400.00 plus buyer's commission & taxes (only one bid was received though).

Wow, that TICF sale was something else and it revealed that the Bank of Canada market seems to be even hotter than the chartered note market!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:59:14 am by Ottawa »

Login with username, password and session length