Author
Topic: All star team  (Read 5637 times)
Lamb
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:31:24 am »

Greetings.

Now that we have survived christmas, boxing day and the proper ways, politically correct or not, of greetings,  let us consider  another topic we have not exactly touched on.

Ever since the site came into being, Canadian papermoney has become extremely popular, if not only in our own mind.  That got me thinking, what are the stars of modern Canadian banknotes ? That is, which are the worthy members of the all-star team or the distinguished components of any respectable  modern Canadian papermoney collection,   I think we should take a vote.  I will here name my candidates.  

Before we get all excited, let me set the parameters:

First of all, I pick only multicolour, 1979, bird, and journey  series.  We could expand them to include earlier series.  everything is on the table.

Secondly, replacements or inserts or test notes are not included, unless they are cream of the crop like Bonnie Thiessen FNX (There are enough in the market, while there may not be enough, say GOT insert, to make a decent  market, )  Besides, any collection would want to include most replacements/ inserts anyway.   We could even elect the replacement / insert all star team.

Thirdly, errors are not included, because most are one of its kind, unless they are `systemic’ errors such as AUK, AUM signature switching, EET, EVH  etc.

Fourthly, certain varieties are excluded because they have not been `studied’ or got enough excitement, such as the missing circles, or big B small B types, hidden bpn’s etc.

Lastly, radars, ladders, solids, repeats, rotators are not included either for obvious reason.

Here they are

EET      Lawson Bouey  

EOH     Crow/Bou          0 to 2.5m                      Yellow BPN

EOH                             2.5-9.99m                      Blue

ENX                              2.28 to 3.47m.               Blue BPN;

EPC     Crow/Crow         1 to 2.4 m                     Changeover

EPC     Thie/Crow         2.4-9.9m                        Changeover

FNX      Thie/Crow          8.2- to 8.3m-                   Only 40,000 !

GNY     Bonin/Thie         7.6 to 9.9m                    Changeover

BDH     Thie/Crow          1 to 0.8m                      Changeover; .8mil.

ATX      Bonin/Thie         1 to 0.14m                                  

FDY      Bonin/Thie         001 to 2,50-                   l

FDZ      Knig Thie          9.0 to 9.6 m                                                

FEE      Kni/Dod             001 to 048                     Printed in 2001; only.45 mil.

BEK     Jen/Dod            8.6-9.3m ?                     non insert

BEL      Jen/Dod                                              

BER     Jen/Dod            001 to 8.6m                   Printed in 2003;  

BET      Jen/Dod            001 to 0.8m                   Last

EVH     Bonin/Thie         2.0m; 3.9m-                    w/o BPN;

AIW      Thie/Crow          400- to 7599-                  with serif

AIX       Bonin/Thie         2.04- to 3.2-                    with serif

AWM     Knig/ Thie

Before I sign off, let me say it is a pity that, since it is so fashionable to be bricking (getting bricks of unc notes), there are no longer many scarce common notes,   Just imagine what a brick of scarce changeover notes would do to the market ? AZN, BEY, ANU, remember ?

Happy 2007

John
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:24:24 am »

I made a post like this a few months back it was about the Journey notes only here is the link one note that needs to be on that list would be the HPA inserts they have been selling for 700-750 a note in unc.

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1158195704

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:40:00 pm »

I agree with Rachelsprivates

The Canadian paper money market has some of the most beautiful notes and in my opinion second to none.

If you truly want to have a collection of all star notes you have to build it from the earlier stuff. I would not even consider anything past 1954 Devils.

The true ALL STARS of the Bank of Canada our without a doubt the 1935 series and the 1937 Osborne. They show an amazing degree of collectibility with stunning yearly increases.  With very many of these going at premiums from book value. What makes them so great is even when you find them, there is a good chance that you can't afford it right away. This creates the desirability factor and the satisfaction of owning them.

For the Dominion Bank of Canada I would say their all star is the four dollar notes!

As for the Chartered notes there are so many. There was also a recent post on trophy notes that you may want to check out. To stay on the subject I would say that the true all Stars of the Chartered market may not be the scarcer ones but the most widely collected. Such as the 1913 Royal Bank Notes and the Earlier Bank of Nova Scotia notes.

This is just a start but I hope this helps.

Kid

KC's Canadian Currency
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 03:26:53 am »

The 1935s are really nice. Personally I would really consider trading an unc C/B EOH 9.92 BluePN and ENX 2.85 BluePN for a F+ or better 1935 $20 of the young Princess E. A beautiful note I can only dream to get.
That list would still be a mighty fine Bank of Canada team any collector would have pride in owning.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:55:33 pm »

I like the 1935 notes as well but price and affordability of the 35 are starting to get out of reach for many small collectors the 54s still have the cheaper price but if you stick to the specialty replacements which I find is more desiriable then the devils face which are everywhere the future price on these notes will climb
Don_D
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:40:23 am »

I have the feeling that John's original intention as to pick some stars in each series, even though he did limit his list to the lastest series. There is nothing to stop anyone to pick 1935 or any other series. Besides not all old stuffs are good, with potentials.  
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 07:01:46 pm »

The ALL STAR TEAM:
First of all, I pick only multicolour, 1979, bird, and journey  series.  We could expand them to include earlier series.  everything is on the table.

Secondly, replacements or inserts or test notes are not included, unless they are cream of the crop like Bonnie Thiessen FNX (There are enough in the market, while there may not be enough, say GOT insert, to make a decent  market, )  Besides, any collection would want to include most replacements/ inserts anyway.   We could even elect the replacement / insert all star team.

Thirdly, errors are not included, because most are one of its kind, unless they are `systemic’ errors such as AUK, AUM signature switching, EET, EVH  etc.

Fourthly, certain varieties are excluded because they have not been `studied’ or got enough excitement, such as the missing circles, or big B small B types, hidden bpn’s etc.

Lastly, radars, ladders, solids, repeats, rotators are not included either for obvious reason.

I think the problem with the above definition is its a bit confusing when you talk about
the stars of modern Canadian banknotes
-- "everything is on the table" & then place so many exlusions on notes collectors normally love to collect!

For instance, I know many collectors who I'd consider to be the top in Canada and they have sets of varied denominations in different series, that would include solid, or 2 digit radars: zeros and eights, or 1's and 2's, and so on.  There's also collectors who only collect $1.00 notes.  The problem with the all star team concept is that its limiting in its scope.

For as long as there's been collecting people love to assemble sets of notes with common virtures, or certain kinds of errors, or a series of change-overs, and other sets according to a dreamed up criteria.  That's what makes collecting paper money such an interesting (and sometimes exciting!) hobby - the diversity of tastes and notes available.  One person's "all star team" would likely differ from anothers-- but all collectors could recognize virtues (and book value) to each.    I think that's why I have a problem with the term "trophy note" applied to scarce museum pieces that are held by BOC or a few private collectors.  

If someone is collecting all the important 2001 Journey $10 he/she might want an example of:
a) the FD_ inserts
b) 2002 FDZ and FEE change-over
c) FEN insert
d) a missing circle
e) the 2003 BEL, BEK (insert and non), BER, BEP,
f) 04 (insert or not) BER and BET
g) a mismatched serial number, or printer's error
h) a decent radar
i) I like to collect low numbers, and inserts of change-over prefixes so I would have something with double significance

If you were collecting $2.00 Birds, you might want an example of the AUJ - AUL, T/C ARX, some radars, some change-overs (EGR), B/T BRX - EBX, some combinations of the B's, or some low (change-over) significant numbers, or sequential replacements, etc.  A lot of collectors that I know like to have at least one error note to show so that when the explain what a replacement note is to the unitiated it is a bit easier showing the defective note.

Now for me,  a trophy note is one I've been searching for and finally find to add to set.  A good example might be a BER or BEK radar, or a 2003 BER - a note I need to fufill my collection, and hard to find. For the $2.00, it might be adding a Thiessen Crow AUG.  However, a trophy note doesn't even need to be that super rare/scarce -- but more important relevant to one's collection (especially to a set that is being assembled).  An example of personal trophy note I got at a show is a Birds $2 EBX 3939396 to add to my EBX3936396.  I also like low or high numbered replacements that are near the start or end of a run.

Lamb
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 07:58:23 pm »

Hi,Water,
     You are absolutely right.  The one operative word is `all star', not examples.   of course, we collect all kind of examples , as many as we could find and afford.  We all want some rare AUG, AUK, etc.  but only the rare AUG and certain ARXs is the star in the AU series.  I have explained why i excluded, say  all inserts EXCEPT the really rare inserts, which are the stars of the inserts.  you see my point?

More inportantly it is MY nominations (only), that is why all is all the table.

Actually I like your list very much.  I should have included FEN insert and any good 2 digit radar, like 0808080, which  could be a beautiful rotator, the word  interestingly is also a radar . I love to have included a missing circle, but i don't know them enough to include them or hidden BPN.

I am sure all of us have some notes we really want to get.  let us hear them!

Frankly, one of the reasons i started the excerise is that a friend asked me jokingly, if i could only keep 20 notes what  20 really modern canadian really notes i want keep ? (I don't like 1954, and earlier series are not easy to get).  I thought I would ask for help from you experts.

cheers.

John
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:04:08 pm »

1897 $1 and 1897 $2 — incredible in high grades — as most spectacular Dominion notes.
1898 $1 notes makes the short series the all-star team's first line, in a hockey sense.
Three attainable 1898 varieties as forwards, two brown back 1897s on the blueline, the 1897 $1 in net (think Georges Vezina (1887-1926) ), and the red back 1897 $2 behind the bench.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 08:04:44 pm by alvin5454 »

Login with username, password and session length