Author
Topic: Bank of Canada Currency Museum - Career Opportunity  (Read 4311 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: February 02, 2008, 04:28:10 pm »

This is an excellent opportunity to be with  the biggest Canadian Currency collection in the world.  Why have your notes when you have the "Banks" notes.  Not only that... you are being paid by the Bank of Canada.... now this is a "dream" job.   

Photographer (08-DBO-212 IK)  

Job Type: Full Time 
Job Category: Other 
Industry: Banking/Finance 
Date Posted: Jan 23, 2008 

Department of Banking Operations

Salary Range: $52,704 to $57,004* (Position grade 14), depending on the qualifications of the candidate
*Base salary to which re-earnable performance pay may be added

Notes:

This position is being posted internally and externally on a concurrent basis.

Condition of employment: Candidate must be eligible for reliability status clearance.

In order for your candidacy to be considered, you must complete the online questionnaire that will appear when you submit your application.

There will be no relocation assistance provided for this recruitment action.

Position Type: Term of one year with the possibility of extension

Job Summary

Under the general direction of the Chief Curator, you are responsible for providing digital photographic services in support of collection registration. You are a key member of the Collection Services section of the Currency Museum of the Bank of Canada, working in support of the Museum’s mission to preserve Canada's numismatic heritage through stewardship of the National Currency Collection and to enrich the lives of Canadians through meaningful communication and experiences about money, the central bank, and the economy.

Responsibilities

photograph 3-D artifacts making up the Collection in accordance with the annual schedule

prepare photographs for other needs, such as advertising and sales

ensure that the image quality is of a high standard (match colour, clean image, etc.)

copy images to electronic media (CDs, DVDs) and keep accurate records (e.g., create contact sheets)

prepare reports

identify and resolve technical problems, resolve common problems, and refer complex ones to more senior colleagues

participate in the implementation of approved procedural process or system changes

provide suggestions for process changes to better meet service standards

reproduce 2-D artifacts as required using scanning equipment

Screening Criteria

two years of experience providing digital photographic services

one year of experience using a medium format digital back, as well as Mac systems, particularly Mac OS10

advanced knowledge of Capture One, Adobe Photoshop, and Toast

one year of experience using DSLR cameras and lenses

Position Requirements

English or French essential

well-developed, demonstrable skills photographing small, highly reflective objects

well-developed ability to discern differences in colour

demonstrated high level of accuracy and attention to detail

demonstrated careful handling techniques of fragile objects

solid interpersonal skills (team player): shares expertise, provides constructive feedback, contributes ideas, and generally collaborates with others to achieve common goals within the curatorial unit

demonstrated effective communication skills

demonstrable ability to plan, establish priorities, and set objectives

Assets

knowledge of photographic procedures with respect to cultural objects

industry contacts and willingness to keep abreast of new developments

experience in a museum environment

Priority will be given to candidates who are legally entitled to work in Canada.

Qualified candidates are required to submit a detailed resumé and a covering letter highlighting how their education, training, and experience meet the above-mentioned Screening Criteria and Position Requirements. Applications should be sent by 3 February 2008.

The Bank of Canada is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from qualified men and women, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.

More info...

http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/db/bankcan_en.job_posting?pi_job_id=9352328&pi_search_id=599468855&pi_sort=POST_DATE&pi_curjob=6&pi_maxjob=8

Smile from your heart.  ;D
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 04:52:12 pm »

So, any forum members moving to Ottawa ;D
If I only knew how to work a camera ???
I already qualify for the disability and visible minority part

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:00:14 pm »

I just sent in my resume and some digital pictures of some notes from my collection. Now comes the waiting part :-\.....my only hope now is that they haven't all ready filled the position 8). Would any members have any clue as to what the following requirement means ??? Condition of employment: Candidate must be eligible for reliability status clearance.   My interpretation is are you reliable, but shouldn't that be obvious?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:07:59 pm by nova7415 »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:31:35 pm »

Candidate must be eligible for reliability status clearance.

Having worked for a company and personally  dealt with large quantities of cash, securities, bullion, etc on a daily basis, I would tend to think that this will be a type of security clearance issue. Likely both domestic and international, finger printing, being able to be bonded etc...
The process will give them the confidence that you are not in any way a risk, and if something does happen, they will have the means to track you down ;D
Being around all of those notes that so badly want to be part of your collection can be tempting... 8)
GOOD LUCK
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
eti1
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:25:07 pm »

This security clearance is the lowest in the federal government. They do a criminal record check and if you don't have one you have the reliability clearance status. I think this certificate is then good for then years.

Good luck
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »

How about taking your work home would they allow that  ???

Harwil4u2
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:25:27 am »

How about taking your work home would they allow that  ???

Harwil4u2
Probably not...but I would settle for an employee discount  ;D

Login with username, password and session length