Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 69084 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #450 on: October 20, 2023, 10:03:22 pm »

October 20th finds:

Some old paper, and new loonie rolls.

I picked up some new 2023 loonie rolls and some paper notes from my bank today.

A couple of nicer birds $100s and three 1954 $100s are highlights of this load.

More interesting notes on the hundreds in my other thread, banknotes with a story…

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #451 on: October 22, 2023, 09:55:48 am »

October 21st finds:
Some more paper notes and a find from the bank machine.

Yesterday, I went to a bank that I have not visited in awhile.  The friendly teller gave me some paper notes including a birds $10, a journey $10 with the missing circle, and a 1971 $10.  I was also able to get some nice journey $20s and a $50.

The teller searched the change tray and was able to find a black toonie, which I gratefully accepted.

I took out some normal cash from the bank machine and there was a polymer $20 FWW non commemorative note in the pile.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 09:57:45 am by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #452 on: October 25, 2023, 07:04:09 pm »

October 25th mail call.

I received two packages today.

I bought this lot of three 1937 $1s, including two Osbourne signed notes.

The second package contained this 1969 $20.  More on this note in my other thread.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #453 on: October 25, 2023, 07:27:49 pm »

October 25th finds:

Main Branch Madness!

I went to the main branch today and the friendly teller had some very crispy journey $5s, a journey $10 and fifty crispy birds $20s!

Naturally, I took everything…

Highlights include:

A journey $5 repeater serial number and a couple of birds $20s with no serif on the “I”.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #454 on: October 25, 2023, 07:48:24 pm »

October 25th:
More pickups!

After visiting the main branch, I met up with a fellow collector who offered me a large batch of notes for a reasonable price.  Of course, I could not say no!

For Claude:  there were a couple of BG- series birds $2s in this lot…

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #455 on: October 27, 2023, 12:21:01 am »

October 26th finds:

Today, I got a call from one of my banks to check out some Canadian paper bills.  When I got to the branch, I looked through all of the mutilated notes (mostly journey $100s, nothing special) but I managed to pull one birds $20 EVP prefix note and a birds $50 FMF prefix note.  The $50 is not really worth keeping, but I did notice that one of the Fs in the prefix was slightly lower than the rest of the prefix.

While I was there, I asked the teller if he had any US notes.  He pulled out three US $2s and a really nice condition 1995 series $10 note.

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #456 on: October 27, 2023, 11:32:54 pm »

October 27th finds:

2 banks, 2 scores!

I was called back to the same bank I went to yesterday.  The teller said that “an old lady deposited her late husband’s money”.  I arrived to see a whole pile of really nice 1973 $1s, (more than 100 notes!) 1974 $2s, 1979 $5s and birds $2s and $5s.  There was even one 1954 $20 in the pile, and some circulated journey fives. I also obtained one journey $100 when I stopped in to another bank on my way home.  More on this note in my other thread.

Highlights are the two letter prefix $1s, and 1974 $2s…they are really nice.

Added to this was $1.50 in loose pennies…I took those too!😀

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #457 on: November 01, 2023, 09:44:15 pm »

November 1st finds:

Today, one of my banks gave me six journey $20s, five of them brand new consecutive notes.

At the store today, I also received a 1978 dime…Imagine getting excited to find a coin from the 1970s in circulation…🤣

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #458 on: November 03, 2023, 10:37:20 pm »

November 3rd finds:

I stopped by one of my banks today and the teller gave me a few journey series notes, a US $2 and some penny rolls.  Most of these rolls are in Bank of Montreal wrapping paper and they look vintage!

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2023, 08:05:03 pm »

November 7th mail call:

I bought this 1971 $10 Lawson-Bouey EDX replacement note.  It’s close to the highest number known in the Charlton Catalogue.

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #460 on: November 10, 2023, 07:19:30 pm »

November 10th finds:

So many pennies…

I stopped by one of my banks and retrieved 67 rolls of pennies…actually 66 rolls and 50 loose pennies.

I spy lots of US pennies, a centennial dove and a 2 Eurocent piece peeking out of the end of one of the rolls…

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #461 on: November 17, 2023, 08:20:22 pm »

November 17th finds:

I visited a couple of banks on my way home today.

The first bank had no paper money, but they did have two rolls of 2023 Riopelle toonies, four 2002 dated 50c pieces and two Summit Series toonies.

The teller at the second bank said that she was saving something for me…and I was surprised to see this 1954 $1000 emerge from the cash drawer!  I have not seen a $1000 note in quite awhile…

It’s not in great shape, but there’s more to this bill…See my other thread for the details.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #462 on: November 19, 2023, 10:48:09 am »

November 18th finds:

Yesterday, one of my banks called and said that they had a bunch of paper money in the mutilated bundle.

I was pleasantly surprised with a large pile of low denomination notes.

While most of these notes are not in collectable condition, there were a few highlights:

A 1974 $2 ABX replacement note signed by Lawson/Bouey
A nicer 1979 $5
Some decent 1954 $2s
Some nicer birds $2s…including 1 BGW prefix $2 for Claude.  😀

The nice thing about finding heavily circulated notes is that there is a high likelihood of finding notes with graffiti or other interesting features and this lot does not disappoint!  See my other thread for details on what I found…

Enjoy!
Dean

Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #463 on: November 19, 2023, 11:44:16 am »

Thanks Dean. ;) ;)
Next week I guy I know gone a bring me aroud 400x2$.
Claude
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #464 on: November 20, 2023, 08:53:25 pm »

November 20th finds:
At the right place at the right time.😀

I visited one of my banks on Thursday last week but the head teller was closing and told me to come back on Monday (today).

When I arrived, I was told that the head teller had taken the day off because she was sick.  I was disappointed, but I asked the teller who served me if he had any paper notes.  He said “I have this $100 if you want it.”

I took the note so I wouldn’t leave empty handed and to my surprise, it turned out to be an EJJ prefix replacement note!

On a whim, I decided to visit the bank next door and while in line, the guy behind me opened up his bag and took out a gigantic stack of paper $20s!  I spoke to him briefly and asked him if he would sell some notes to me on the spot.  He agreed and he even let me leaf quickly through the pile!  I didn’t want to hold his money for too long as it would look awkward to everyone else in line.  I didn’t notice any replacements or rare prefixes.

The guy said that his elderly mother had given him the stack of cash ($10k) as a gift!

He took out the best condition $20s (and a few spenders) to round out to $600.  He then showed me a small pile of birds $50s and three 1975 $100s, all of which were heavily circulated.  I chose one 1975 $100 and quickly ran to the bank machine to withdraw some cash.

Talk about being at the right place at the right time…At least I saved some of what he deposited…I may go back tomorrow and ask the cash cage if I can have a closer look at the $20s.

I’ll end up returning some of thes notes, but there are a few runs of consecutive notes and the highlight;  a note with smeared digits in the serial number!

This also goes to show you that there are millions of dollars stashed away in sock drawers, in mattresses and behind walls.  You just never know when old money will appear!

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 09:06:34 pm by Dean »

Login with username, password and session length