Author
Topic: 1870 25c AU-50 NET $987 - Good deal?  (Read 3287 times)
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:50:34 pm »

Hello ,

Book value for an 1870 Serie A 25c in AU is 3200$

Winning Bid is 987$ is that's just me or it's a  pretty good deal !

8) Patrick 8)

[edit]Removed eBay item number, added images, moved to What's It Worth. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:56:16 pm by BWJM »

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:28:24 pm »

A deal is in the eye of the buyer, and sometimes observers!

So lets look at what we have here. The note is graded by PMG as AU 50 “NET”.  What does not mean? Well according to PMG,

"Some notes fail to make the grade, so to speak. For example, notes which have a corner missing, are stained or been damaged due to most any adverse occurrence after leaving the BEP will be net graded. This means that instead of no grading it, PMG will holder and authenticate it as a "Net Grade". PMG will specifically state the reason(s) any note is net graded. The PMG guarantee is not valid on any net graded note."

There is no PMG guarantee that the note is an AU grade, just what it would appear to be. The looks better then it really is scenario.

So is this a deal at approximately C $1,240.66?

Well if I was a buyer, I would have to say no. Yes it is a nice note, but as a “NET” note, I would automatically take the note down a grade with no questions, at that, the note would be in the EF $1,600 range. After exaiming the note, the condition may go up or down.

I feel the final selling price was close to the true value of the note.

I know that sometimes it is easy to overlook imperfections in note when you finally find what you have been looking for. Please remember to take you time, and just like everything else, buyer beware, so do your homework when buying a note.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:27:30 pm by Elwoodbluesca »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:08 pm »

That is a very good informative breakdown of this sale. Buyer beware.

I think the achieved value of this note may have been considerably more having auctioned the note in a better time of year with less speculations on the worlds economy.

I myself have picked up several notes lately where the price was "weak" for the given note and grade.

KC's Canadian Currency
Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:50:15 pm »

My guess is that it was "net graded" on account of the date stamp on the back.
I shall now indulge in a brief rant:
I strongly disagree with the whole notion of net grading.
It is infinitely more informative to grade the note as if there were no impairments, and then describe the demerits in detail, than to leave people guessing what the net grade really means. 
(And as for this date stamp misfortune occurring after it left the BEP, well it never left the BEP (Bureau of Engraving and Printing) because it was never there.  It was printed by BABN right here in Canada.)
It gives the appearance of being a very nice note, and if it looks as good as the scan suggests, I would like to have been the buyer myself!

Collecting Canadian since 1955

Login with username, password and session length