Author
Topic: 1954 perfect notes  (Read 5017 times)
rare_notes
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:23:32 am »

2 sets of 1954
1] RC/6708802/3/4/5  B/CO
2]US6966830/1/3/4    B//RAS
3]VS0014315  B/RAS   this note has slight fold
rare_notes
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:25:14 am »

both sets uncir , nice centre,no ripples,crisp off the press
rare_notes
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 11:31:46 am »

sorry VS note above is a star replacement note
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:11:35 pm »

Don't mean to sound rude, but I suggest you find a coin shop and obtain the new Charlton catalogue... It will save you and many members lots of time... RC $5 notes are $125 each in 60; US are $55 each in 60; *VS is $150 in AU...
rare_notes
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:01:53 pm »

thankyou i know the book prices now maybe next year i will get what i think this set is worth heck after keeping them for 30 years whats another year or two
rare_notes
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 09:14:22 pm »

wondering what premium would you put on a perfect set of four consecutive 1954 banknotes??these bills look like art.......RC'S for sure this set is worth 600.00 or 750.00 i spent 400.00 going out for dinner last nite with nothing to show for it
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 11:53:54 am »

wondering what premium would you put on a perfect set of four consecutive 1954 banknotes??these bills look like art.......RC'S for sure this set is worth 600.00 or 750.00

R_N: you should be careful of your assumptions:

Catalogues give you an indication of the highest price a collector will likely pay if they truly wish to obtain that particular note(s).   Also many collectors assume that consecutives are super rare and sought after by every collector. This has proven not to be the case (unless the notes are indeed rare).  More often than not-- I've seen consecutives go for a discount.

Often BOOK VALUE estimates are on the high side for regular issued notes (R/C and U/S) yet more accurate and quite often conservative for asterisk notes (eg *V/S).   Notes have been sold continuously online for quite some time now and as collectors -- we've seen the market become flooded with regular issues.  In favour of the R/C is that its the less common prefix to a rather uncommon signature variety so the demand could persist.

Market demand of a particular replacement often depends on what collectors see at auctions, coin shops, and their favourite dealers.  For example, one * I/X or *N/S in UNC can cause a flurry of buyers while a run of *V/S might not (since its the more common variety).   

In fact, usually when collectors see a run of a particular replacement (eg: * A/M $1.00 at an auction) which has low numbers printed then the market demand for that particular prefix might even drop -- despite the fact that only few were printed.
Why? 
The appearance of consecutive runs often gives the impression that there's many out there.  

Another case in point (for a rare note).  Search the rare Osborne/Towers $20 and you will find no shortage being sold on the most popular online auction site.  Now, this could mean that there's plenty of this rare signature variety, or it could mean that the increases in BV have brought many out to the hammer (its difficult to say).  I do know one dealer who won't touch them, and yet we also saw a quite a few *$1 N/Y being auctioned, knowing full well this was just a blip in the market. 

Another factor to consider is condition.  Most collectors assume consecutives are unc and will accept nothing less.  If some of those *V/S are less than unc-- this could present a problem for you to sell.  Each note will be inspected by the buyer, and often the bookends are less than gem (roughly handled). 

If you really are serious about finding out the value of your notes -- you should take them into a reputable dealer, or to a show, and ask.  However, you may be wise to do this if you are only considering to sell them (that will be the expecation).   Hope this helps.

rare_notes
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:18:23 pm »

excellent points well written however not wanting to sell makes a difference i feel that with the market on these notes are only heating up  ive had them 30 years now. notes are a great investment over next 3 years better than real estate,gold whatever iam buying bigger and better and anyone who purchases today is in the game for the long term i have paid book and above for the notes i want and there has not been a note i have ever lost money on but when you purchase you buy a piece of history something no longer available which makes collecting a great hobby,thank-you
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:09 pm »

notes are a great investment over next 3 years better than real estate,
Definitely not an opinion I would agree with because the reason I can buy notes is ONLY because of real estate 8)
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
rare_notes
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:16:03 am »

I believe we all did well on real estate  but I have seen certain notes jump 20-30% in the past year, my problem is I can convince myself to take a profit on real but find it very difficult to part with any notes, the sad thing is 20-30 years from now someone some-where will have our notes locked up and so be it Life carries on

Login with username, password and session length