Author
Topic: The End of a Canadian Paper Money Era  (Read 3635 times)
canada
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:15:10 pm »

I have close sources in Ottawa that tell me that the end of our currency is fast approaching.   Some say it will be replaced by the "Amero" in the next 3-5 years.   It will be simular to the Euro but rather include Canada, Mexico and the U.S.

How will this affect our hobby?
Will our collections be worthless from a face value standpoint?
Will our collections be worth more?
How do we prepare for this from a collectors standpoint?  Did the old paper money from other E.U. nations appreciate after the introduction of the Euro?
ect.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:33:10 pm by canada »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:25:27 pm »

How will this affect our hobby?
Will our collections be worthless from a face value standpoint?
Will our collections be worth more?

Actually, these questions are questions I too was curious about, but not in the sense that the currency would change, but rather what if banknotes are no longer issued. We have credit cards, debit cards, and from talking to many bank employees, cash is becoming less and less used. This is one of the reasons that many banks don't carry the amounts of cash they once use to because less people are using it.

So do our collections still have the value they once did ??? ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
canada
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:38:09 pm »

Actually, these questions are questions I too was curious about, but not in the sense that the currency would change, but rather what if banknotes are no longer issued. We have credit cards, debit cards, and from talking to many bank employees, cash is becoming less and less used. This is one of the reasons that many banks don't carry the amounts of cash they once use to because less people are using it.

So do our collections still have the value they once did ??? ???

FriedSquid:
What you are being told is accurate.  We are pushing into a cashless society with the introduction of RFID chips.  As you know they are being used more and more for transactions.  I bet you didn't know that at least 90% of our money supply has always been electronic for decades now and created by the Banks of Canada and not the Government (that's another story).  I think these days cash is only 1% or less of our money supply.  I too wonder what will happen to the value.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:39:44 pm by canada »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:46:25 pm »

I better start using my devil face replacements notes to buy groceries next week.
Atleast I will be getting face value :'(

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length