Author
Topic: Assesing value for consecutive notes  (Read 5948 times)
woodguy62
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:55:41 pm »

Is there a value for consecutive notes? If I have 2 notes or a 100, is there value for being consecutive or is it just book value per note?

thx
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:05:18 pm »

If you have specific notes in mind this may greatly help us.

Certain notes are commonly seen in consecutive order while others may be quite rare or demanded resulting in premiums to book value.

KC's Canadian Currency
KrispyNote
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:24:09 pm »

I always try to buy consecutive notes, it would seem to be a rarer occurence than just a single note. Or less of them in sequence. kind of like condition rare lots of certain notes out there in unc, but how many consecutive ones in unc in one persons possesion.(I'm refering to older notes)
I think this adds value and it also helps validify that they are unc, I would think it would be tough to find circulated in sequence.
CBAME
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:18:08 pm »

I once got 10 consecutive 20's from an ATM
its too bad at that time i had no money to spare at all and it was needed for my rent,  IF it comes from an ATM and is crisp is it uncurculated or almost uncirculated,

thanks
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:26:44 pm »

I once got 10 consecutive 20's from an ATM
its too bad at that time i had no money to spare at all and it was needed for my rent,  IF it comes from an ATM and is crisp is it uncurculated or almost uncirculated,

thanks

Some ATM's may be stocked with circulated, uncirculated or a combination of both.
As for the condition of the notes, as I said before.. learning to grade notes is what is important.
Some machines tend to put machine type marks on a note that may not be noticed by you, but they certainly will be by another collector.
You have to decide what you wnat to collect and as I have always said, buy the best you can afford because quality is what counts in the end.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
CBAME
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 02:50:32 pm »

I didnt think anything comming from a machine would be considered uncirculated.

Thanks
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:59:18 pm »

Is there a value for consecutive notes? If I have 2 notes or a 100, is there value for being consecutive or is it just book value per note?

This topic has been addressed several times previously on the Forum:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=8282.0

Generally speaking, consecutive runs do not sell for more than the sum of the individual notes, the reason being that the demand drops off when more than one or two notes are offered together because most collectors only want one piece for their collections and not a long run. Usually, a long run will appeal more to a dealer who needs the notes for stock and they will then sell for closer to the wholesale price than to the retail price. You may be lucky and find a collector who wants a long run but, generally speaking, you will always realize more at the end of the day by selling the notes individually. In many cases a long consecutive run will sell at auction for less than the sum of the values of the individual notes.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length