Author
Topic: TOREX Prices realized !  (Read 4129 times)
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« on: October 26, 2008, 06:53:26 pm »

Congratulations to the winner of that rare 1986 2.00 purple ink Error note, where my bid didn't even come close :-[. I was curious as to the 1971 1.00 NP6666666 note which received no bids at 375.00, whereas all other solid Radars of that series sold for double or triple that :o. Were any Forum members present who had a chance to see this note and notice whether it was flawed in some way ???. As to the members query  whether prices would be down, or affected, because of the present economic situation I would think that the prices the notes sold for answered his question ;).
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:23:36 pm »

Lot #3011 (1973 $1 NP6666666) was withdrawn because the lot could not be located.  Most likely the note was catalogued for auction, but was not received from the consignor in time for the auction.  $375 was the starting bid.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:13:43 pm »

Congratulations to the winner of that rare 1986 2.00 purple ink Error note, where my bid didn't even come close :-[.

The error note sold to an internet bidder for $800+ bp. I also like error notes, but would not touch this one after viewing it as I question the authenticity of the error. The note seemed to be different, and the inking colour just seems very odd and out of place on the $2 denomination. It was the way the two inking processes (two passes, background and foreground) seem to be combined into the same error.

Just my thoughts

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »

Thank you for clarifying my query as to the 1973 1.00 solid Radar note :o. I thought it odd that there were no bidders.
Also a Thank you to Elwoodblues for pointing out this discrepancy about that Error......I'm glad that I didn't really want it all that much :-\. I also wanted to congratulate you on winning that awesome 20.00 Bird Error on eBay a month ago ;).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:55:02 pm by nova7415 »
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:50 am »

Thanks Nova, and ditto to your 1973 error $1.

The overall prices realized in the “Canadian Coinoisseur” banknote portion of the auction did not indicate there were problems in the economy, as there were very few bargains to be had. Yes that market is softening to economic down-turns, and you can see that with the more common material and the lower grade notes in the market place.

Why was this auction so successful with the banknotes;

- The auction consisted of a collection from only one consigner
- Almost all notes were PMG graded (a worldwide marketable holder)
- All notes were of very high grade (yes I know there are some expressed discrepancies in the grading)
- The auction was made available live to the world through the WWW
- There were some rare notes that attracted strong bidding
- Conducted by the Michael Walsh (Canadian Coinoisseur) a reputable auctioneer

The auction spoke truth to that saying that in hard economic times, the better and rarer banknotes will hold their ground.

I would like to give Michael a heartfelt congratulation as he prepared and held a stellar sale. With some very impressive items, truly an auction that will be remember. As we are all aware, this was Michael’s last official auction. As noted by Michael at the end of the sale at 1:30am Sunday morning, this was the end, as his last auction lot ended with 3030, 30 for the end of the sale, and 30 for his last auction.

FYI - For those that do not know what the 30 represents, Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, says 30 is "a sign of completion", and was used at the end of an article/story.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:51:29 am »

The prices realized on many notes were exceptionally high, especially when one takes into account the apparently very lax PMG grading standards. By way of example, just take a look at Lot 2828: Bank of Canada $5 1935 French Text in PMG Unc-64 EPQ which sold for $6500.00 plus 20% buyer's fee. There seem to be many counting and handling creases at the right side of that note (a Charlton AU/Unc at best?). However, if the note was purchased by a floor bidder then presumably he knew what he would be receiving. On the other hand, perhaps the apparent counting creases are on the plastic holder and not on the note itself? However, many other "PMG Choice Unc" notes in the sale seemed to have extensive handling marks too.

I sometimes think that it's safer to collect 18th-century printed maps where folds are the norm and are accepted as such lol!

{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/PMG64.jpg}
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:12:48 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Raven
  • “Money IS the root of all evil.”
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:20:53 pm »

Lot #3011 (1973 $1 NP6666666) was withdrawn because the lot could not be located.  Most likely the note was catalogued for auction, but was not received from the consignor in time for the auction.  $375 was the starting bid.

*sigh*  :-*

It's still a nice number, I don't think PD Would loan me $400 though.
Well I'll conjure up something hee hee :-*
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:42:18 pm »

Dear Princess of Darkness,

A polite 'No'.  :(  It would be suffice to say, as the way prices were going, the final hammer price may have likely gone much higher than that. See ya at Halloween.

The Jamaican Scot
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:31:58 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length