Author
Topic: 1954 Ch. UNC 63 Changeover + Repeater  (Read 5163 times)
yojojake28
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:55:12 pm »

Does anyone have an idea of some kind of market value for this note? Has anyone seen something comparable before?
Thanks

{http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8660/k3h6.jpg:http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8660/k3h6.th.jpg}
twoplustwo
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:14:42 pm »

The book says that note (BC-38c) is valued at $25 for that grade.  A two digit radar for that note is worth $120 as per the same book.
yojojake28
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:17:56 am »

This note isn't just a two digit radar, it's a two digit repeater, which is a separate thing in the Charlton. There is no section for repeaters before the Bird series and it says market value for earlier repeaters hasn't been established. I've seen a 1212121 1954 $2 in VF go for about $125 at auction but nothing in this grade. Any opinions would be appreciated.
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 03:42:05 pm »

It is my opinion that the catalogue is messed up in this area.
I consider your note to be a 2 digit radar. Although it is a repeater as well, I don't believe it has any additional value.
I consider 2 digit repeaters are notes like 1221221 or 1211211 or  1121121
The catalogue shows both a 1212121 bird series radar and the same note as a repeater with different values???
Why do you want to call it a repeater when it appears to be worth more as a radar??

And yes people are known on occasion to over pay for a note they want for there collection. (scan shortly)

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:23:39 am »

It is my opinion that the catalogue is messed up in this area.

I agree, but it is always important to remember that the catalogue is simply a guide to what you might expect a collector to pay IF that collector really wants that specific note as listed.  I would not consider it authoritative, nor would I expect the catalogue to consistently reflect true market value.  It is somewhat dated the moment it is printed.  That's not to say we should "throw the baby out with the bathwater" as it is a great guide to give us an idea of approximate book value.  There are many factors which can come to play when a note is put up for sale including whether it is auctioned, online auctioned, or sold privately (bourse or at a store).

Why do you want to call it a repeater when it appears to be worth more as a radar??

This is like focusing on the "amazing one of a kind" low # $5.00 Devil's face *A/C note.  Only 2400 were printed so nearly half (1000 & less) are low numbered.  It is much more important that the note is a rare Devil's face replacement which are so hard to come by in that denomination.   Serial numbers are important but they're not more important than the condition of the note, nor the scarcity of the said note.  Only very rarely do we see a low # Test note reach pretty spectacular sales price (because we know the notes usually are printed in the millions).

IMO: the note in question would easily fetch $120-$150 (attaining BV with a minor premium) because it is a rather common change-over.  It is a lovely note though & there should be no problem selling it quickly....

yojojake28
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:11 am »

Thanks for the input guys

Login with username, password and session length