Author
Topic: 1923 2$ Banknote DoC  (Read 3585 times)
Kaellya
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:32:43 pm »

Hi there,

I have come to aquire a 1923 two dollar Dominion of Canada banknote. After doing some looking around on the internet, I've realized that getting any information on this piece is relatively difficult--or, at least, it is for me--I'm probably not putting in the right keywords in google.

I was wondering if I can get an estimated value and grade. I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm not sure what information you need me to give. But heres what I've gathered you'll need after reading over various posts;

Circulated
Charlton Number: DC-26f
Group: 2
Seal: Black
Serial number M - 486875
Condition:  ______?
Issue date: Ottawa, June 23rd, 1923
Signatures McCavour-Saunders (I believe)

If theres anymore information I can provide, please let me know!
Thanks~

{http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6438/2doc.jpg:http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6438/2doc.th.jpg}
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:38:41 pm by Kaellya »
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:50:39 pm »

The information you found is correct.  This is DC-26f, black seal group 2 series M.  The condition appears to be about Fine, though the edges are impaired and that will drag down the value.  Specifically, the bottom border is thin with indentation into the design, the left and right edges are ugly, and the top edge appears to have a couple of small tears.  By my experience, black seal notes are less popular no matter what group number they are.  The Charlton catalogue gives a value of $70 in Very Good and $135 in Fine.  Realistically, I would expect a note like this to sell for more like $60-$90 because of the problem edges and the black seal.  One thing this note has going for it is that it appears "original" (i.e. unpressed and unwashed).

No hay banda  
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »

Welcome to the forums.

In my opinion it looks like this note is in Fine condition and the value is listed at $135. and with the slower market for notes now I think it would sell for about $100.

Hope this helps.

Gary_T
Kaellya
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 01:41:49 pm »

Alright, thanks for the help guys!

Login with username, password and session length