Author
Topic: Storing Your Notes  (Read 8298 times)
therealco1986
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:03:43 am »

Folks,

I've been collecting for just over a year.  I'm shocked at the amount of value I have accumulated in that time.  Shortly after collecting, I purchased a run of the mill safe from Wal Mart.  One of those Sentry safes.  I had been plagued with going with a fireproof/waterproof one vs a security safe.  I ended up with a security safe, knowing full well that it would not be protected from fire or flood.  I chose one that could be bolted down and had the hinges on the inside, as to protect from being broken into.  I realize, these safes are fairly easy to break into either way.

My question is, back when I got this, I hadn't anticipated my collection growing so much, at the time about $1500 - $2000 worth of various notes, and generally run of the mill stuff.  Now I've got much more.  And I feel like I need a safer place.

Is it worth getting a safety deposit box over?  I like to have access to my items whenever I please.  So, instead, I had been contemplating a bigger/better/harder to move safe.  Are there any recommendations or suggestions on this?

Another quarry with the airtight safes is moisture.  Closing something up in there for a while (though I frequently open to look at my items), could cause more damage?  I've been putting silica packs in my safe at the moment, and also have a hygrometer in there just to check the moisture levels.  Anybody have any opinions on any of the above?
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:48:11 pm »

I keep packs of those moisture absorbing packs found in some dried foods with my notes. I keep the bulk of my collection ina safety deposit box  as it gives affordable piece of mind.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:49:55 pm by Wizard1 »

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 11:26:44 pm »

I have this safe, bolted to the floor, and am quite happy with it.  We keep important docs in it, too.

http://www.costco.ca/Sentry®Safe-SFW123FTC-Electronic-Fire-Safe®.product.10363709.html

Marc :)
therealco1986
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:21 pm »

Totally interested in upgrading to something of this calibre.  Does the LED light have an on/off switch?  Mine has one, when you open it, it comes on for about 30 seconds then turns off.  Kind of sucks as mine is in a closet with no light.  Only thing is mine is thick steel, not water/fireproof, but is fairly sturdy feeling.  The fireproof ones are a little thinner in the steel I think?
shrek999
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:21 pm »

I am fairly new at this too and wondering can a note degrade from its original condition sitting in storage or from moisture in the air? It should not make a difference with the polymer notes? 
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:32:32 pm »

I am fairly new at this too and wondering can a note degrade from its original condition sitting in storage or from moisture in the air? It should not make a difference with the polymer notes? 

Yes, thats why I keep  Desiccant Moisture Absorbing Packs with my notes in the Safety Deposit box. Shouldn't affect polymer notes.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:19:39 am »

Be very careful about storing paper notes in an airtight safe...they will mould.....

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
therealco1986
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:29:14 pm »

As a rookie collector.  These are the things I need to hear.  What's a good way to prevent this.  I have a non airtight safe.  But, I keep dessicant in there and a hygrometer to ensure it isn't high humidity?
Tanthalas17
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 01:33:47 pm »

I am also interested in purchasing a safe that protects from water and fire - can anyone recommend a brand or any other information to start reviewing before I make such a purchase?

-Chris
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »

If price is of no concern, here's a decent one 

http://www.lackasafe.com/products/used-safes-specials/best-safe-world-|-chubb-sovereign-6428

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 09:00:26 pm »

Couldn't link the whole line, just highlight it and search.

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
la cenne
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:17:40 am »

http://www.lackasafe.com/products/used-safes-specials/best-safe-world-|-chubb-sovereign-6428

At $47,000 I would have to sell all my notes to acquire it.No more notes to store.lol

Passion ia a positive obsession. Obsession is a negative passion. (Paul Carvel)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:58 am »

Thanks for the link...now I can buy another one so I have a matching set :)

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 09:22:05 am »

At $47,000 I would have to sell all my notes to acquire it.No more notes to store.lol

well...now that you told everyone that you have enough notes to buy that safe...you'd better start looking for one :)

la cenne
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:32:57 am »

well...now that you told everyone that you have enough notes to buy that safe...you'd better start looking for one :)

No more note and  I forgot to mention a loan at the bank for $46,900. :'( :'(

Passion ia a positive obsession. Obsession is a negative passion. (Paul Carvel)

Login with username, password and session length