Author
Topic: rotator? I have a question.  (Read 5340 times)
royhah
« on: August 30, 2006, 06:47:55 am »

Hello everyone!
I knew a rotator in this forum.  You know, it has numbers like  "0", "6", "8", "9".  And there is only "0" or "8" in center.
I wonder why it doesn't include "1". Could you tell me this point?

Thanks for reading! Have a good time.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:25:35 am »

Hello everyone!
I knew a rotator in this forum.  You know, it has numbers like  "0", "6", "8", "9".  And there is only "0" or "8" in center.
I wonder why it doesn't include "1". Could you tell me this point?

Thanks for reading! Have a good time.
1's are not included because they do not look the same way upside down.  Technically the 8's don't either because the bottom half of the 8 is bigger than the top half, but with the 1's it's much more obvious that they don't look the same when they are rotated.

eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:31:55 am »

Unless you are prebyoptic like most people my age...  then a 1 looks the same either way unless you hold the note more than 4 feet away.   ::)   So I call a rotator which includes 1's a "prebyoptic rotator"  :D

royhah
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 11:18:44 am »

eyevet, thanks for answer, but I didn't understand  meaning of "prebyoptic".
Please account for "prebyoptic" to me. I'm poor in English. :-/
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 11:50:41 am »

Presbyoptic is that state of vision seen in many middle aged people where you are both near-sighted and farsighted at the same time requiring the use of bi-focal & tri-focal glasses.  For prebyopes (like me) the 1's look like rotators because of our own crappy vision.

royhah
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:35:44 pm »

eyevet, thanks for your kindness!  :)

Well, I wanna know other people's thinking too.

Somebody calls a rotator which includes 1's a "psuedo note". Is it fact? :-[

Then.. What does "psuedo note" means?  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:47:14 pm by royhah »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 02:27:28 pm »

pseudo- or pseud-
pref.
1. False; deceptive; sham: pseudoscience.
2. Apparently similar: pseudocoel.

A pseudo-rotator is a SLANG term developed by people who want to make regular notes more valuable by likening them to rotator notes when they fail to meet the strict definition of a rotator. This is in line with other eBay-like scams such as calling 9991221 a radar note because 1221 is a radar, etc. Cheap tricks meant to make a note seem more valuable than it really is.

Stick to the terms defined in the Charlton guide and unlike our presbyoptic friend here, follow the strict definition of a rotator that DOES NOT INCLUDE ONES.

BTW, just for the record, these so-called "presbyoptic rotators" are NOT actual rotator notes. Collectors are advised not to be deceived into thinking that they are.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:28:32 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 03:00:41 pm »

While on the subject of mysnomers:

You should also be wary of those who label their notes as 2000 or Two thousand notes, and other such varieties (with either thousand or ten thousand as an adjective).
I've been seeing a lot of these (as examples)

9942000 being touted as a "thousand numbered note"

or

2653000 as a 3 thousand note

There's really nothing special about such notes unless they have some other feature (replacement/change-over) to make them significant from the rest.

happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 04:22:20 pm »

Stick to the terms defined in the Charlton guide and unlike our presbyoptic friend here, follow the strict definition of a rotator that DOES NOT INCLUDE ONES.

Do you work for Charlton? I don't see why collectors need to limit themselves to the arbitrary choices made by the catalogue as to which "special" numbers to promote. Every serial number is unique and if a collector sees something special in it it's his choice to collect it. Charlton should not be taken as an unquestionable authority on what's collectable or not. I think alot of collectors would find a pseudo-rotator interesting (esp. with the aging baby boomer population  ;D), not to mention many possible numbers that could be collectable... :-/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 04:23:19 pm by happy_philosopher »
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 05:06:31 pm »

You should also be wary of those who label their notes as 2000 or Two thousand notes, and other such varieties (with either thousand or ten thousand as an adjective).
I've been seeing a lot of these (as examples)

9942000 being touted as a "thousand numbered note"

or  

2653000 as a 3 thousand note

There's really nothing special about such notes unless they have some other feature (replacement/change-over) to make them significant from the rest.

Agreed, Technically it is not a Thousand note (0001000) that would also be a 2-Digit Radar... :o

BUT..... These CAN be of higher value in a set...

Example:

4344000 .... 4249000

Or:

4342222 .... 4349999

A Set like this is VERY Unique and are popular for collecting. Sometime sets can be found with different first 2 digits or prefixes but it still follows the pattern. Of course these sets would not be as of high value but are still very Unique.  :)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 05:34:45 pm »

Do you work for Charlton? I don't see why collectors need to limit themselves to the arbitrary choices made by the catalogue as to which "special" numbers to promote. Every serial number is unique and if a collector sees something special in it it's his choice to collect it. Charlton should not be taken as an unquestionable authority on what's collectable or not. I think alot of collectors would find a pseudo-rotator interesting (esp. with the aging baby boomer population  ;D), not to mention many possible numbers that could be collectable... :-/
No, I don't work for Charlton, but I do have a problem with people twisting the definition of a term to include notes that were never meant to be included in such a definition. Doing so broadens the definition of that term and reduces the scarcity and uniqueness of a true note of that definition.

Think about it, if we called rotators any number that can be read upside down, including using any "questionable" or "presbyoptic" digits such as 1, 5 and 2, then there are a potential 823,543 such notes per 10,000,000-note prefix. That's an 8% ratio. The strict definition of a rotator is any number such that when rotated upside down, it is legible as the exact same number. It also specifies that the centre digit must be 0 or 8, and that the remaining digits be 0, 6, 8 or 9. The digits on one side are specified by the digits on the other side (like a radar... if the first 3 digits are 688, the last three HAVE TO be 889. Any other note from that brick is not a rotator). Following these rules, there are at most 127 rotators per 10,000,000-note prefix. That is a ratio of 0.00127%. Considerably rarer than our much more broad definition, isn't it? (Trust me on the math. It is correct, but if you absolutely must have the calculations explained to you, PM me).

I also have a special concern for rotators as I was the person who wrote the article for the CPMS newsletter that started this whole cummotion a couple years ago.

I have no issue with people thinking certain numbers are interesting for whatever reason, but don't say 0123405 is a laddar note, don't say 1113311 is a radar and don't say 6669966 is a rotator. I'm not being hypocritical here either... Those 3 numbers I just mentioned come from my own collection. I note each one of them as a "fancy number", an arbitrary term for numbers that look kinda cool but fail to be otherwise categorized. I do NOT imply that they are laddars, radars, rotators, or anything of the like, because the fact remains that they are not.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 05:36:17 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 05:47:42 pm »

Lol I called a rotator with a 1 a psuedo-rotator becuase that means it is NOT a real rotator (because it has the number 1).   :)

I know they are not genuine rotators, and I DO agree with the use of just 8s 9s and 0s, but I still keep them with 1s because I like them!!  And that is what collecting is about!  :)

If you allow 1s to follow as "acceptable" then why not a 5? or a 2? they still follow the same penstroke...

Later
Huds

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »

Here is an interesting serial number seen on an 1866 $2 bill in the heritage auction.

You may notice that it is flipped 180 degree for your enjoyment.

[attachment deleted by admin]

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 11:21:17 pm »

Here is an interesting serial number seen on an 1866 $2 bill in the heritage auction.

You may notice that it is flipped 180 degree for your enjoyment.
Ah...another "presbyopic pseudo non-regulation unconforming wishful thinking eye-squinting" variety of rotator note.

See below for the real McCoy (also from the Heritage auction) - an 1866 $20 Specimen note.

As an aside - isn't it curious that the "0000" on the left side of the note is in a different type-set / font than the "0000" on the right side?  I have a scan of a regular issue 1866 $5 note with a "0" in the serial number.  The "0" looks the same on both sides...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:10:27 pm by BWJM »

Login with username, password and session length