Author
Topic: Coin & Currency Exchange - Mississauga  (Read 10107 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:41:57 pm »

I dropped by the Coin & Currency Exchange in Mississauga a few Saturdays ago and the store was closed with a sign in the window saying "Closed for Inventory"

I dropped by again today and the store was still closed with a sign saying "Re-opening soon - Under New Management".

Does anyone have any idea what happened?  I've always had good service from Peter Lockwood, and I hope everything is OK with him.  Anyone know who the new owner will be?

thunder-boy
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:43:30 pm »

I heard he went out of business

Buy the best and sell the PRESSED!!
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 03:16:58 am »

Are you referring to the one on Burnhamthorpe Road West in the strip plaza?

Smile from your heart.  ;D
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:15:37 pm »

Are you referring to the one on Burnhamthorpe Road West in the strip plaza?

yes

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:20:23 pm »

I heard from two independent sources that a bankruptcy was involved. If that is the case, it would be a great tragedy as the Lockwood name has a long (40-year) and highly respected tradition in Canadian paper money.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 06:10:24 pm »

He has stopped doing business for now.

Rick
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:10:18 pm »

I appologise as this may not follow the topic

On a seperate but similar note there is a seller who had one of the largest inventory available on eBay recently pulled all his material. Would these be related in some way?

KC's Canadian Currency
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 07:13:20 pm »

Wow i didn't know he went out of buisness.   :o

i only bought two things from that guy though.

a 1954 $50 note in EF condition. And a 1937 Be-Co $20 note (H/E 0036531) in C.UNC condition

eti1
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:51:50 pm »

They still sell on ebay under the name CCE2002
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:08:48 pm »

I appologise as this may not follow the topic

On a seperate but similar note there is a seller who had one of the largest inventory available on eBay recently pulled all his material. Would these be related in some way?

No this would not be the same vendor/person/seller, no relation.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
eti1
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:52:51 pm »

Sorry if I was not clear but I mean that CCE2002 is the ebay ID of the Coin & Currency Exchange, so they did not completely stop selling.
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:39 pm »

I heard from two independent sources that a bankruptcy was involved. If that is the case, it would be a great tragedy as the Lockwood name has a long (40-year) and highly respected tradition in Canadian paper money.

Yes it would be. I remember when the Lockwoods ran Arcade Coin in Toronto. Peter's dad Dick was always very helpful with my purchases in the early days.
ibo2008
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 07:58:39 am »

it is so sad to to see them gone, i remember i bought quite a few notes from them on Yonge St back in the late 1980s..their prices were not cheap back then (but if you look back now, they charged nothing) but they had a lot of very nice note, i bought most of my replacement & devil face notes from them, including #53aA and #53bA for C$25 each...also bought the #49cAi $10 Lawson Bouey for C$45 (all perfect UNC)...i remember they also had a 1935 (cant rememebr the denomination, could be $1, $2 or $5) serial # A0000008 asking for C$1,250....too bad i could not afford to buy it.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 04:58:56 pm »

I'm not referring to the numismatic company which is the subject of this thread when I say this, but has anyone ever noticed that bankruptcies and related business problems are never ever mentioned in Canadian numismatic publications such as Canadian Coin News? We read of business bankruptcies nearly every day in the National press but never ever in the numismatic press. It seems to me that a bankruptcy of a coin company is an important, albeit sad, piece of news. Any thoughts about this??

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length