Author
Topic: possibility of commemorative issues  (Read 5184 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:03:04 pm »

Hi,

I must not be the only person who believes that the BoC should issue more commemorative banknotes.  There have been many opportunities to do so and the bank has not done anything.  The Queen's Golden Jubilee would have been a perfect chance to issue a special $50 and with the 2010 olympics, a $5 commemorative would be appropriate.

Why are commemoratives limited to coins these days? 

Canada's 150th anniversary will be in 2017...I'd love to see a commem.
The bank should get with the program here...
what do you think?

~D

moneycow
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:15:19 am »

I don't think the BoC needs to get with the program.  I'd hate to see paper money painted with the same brush as all that crap the Mint churns out on a regular basis.   I'm sure there must be the occasional nice issue but most is meaningless.   
A 2067 issue perhaps...but anything other than that and we'll be headed down a slippery slope.

Craig
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:50:06 pm »

I don't think the BoC needs to get with the program.  I'd hate to see paper money painted with the same brush as all that crap the Mint churns out on a regular basis.   I'm sure there must be the occasional nice issue but most is meaningless.   
A 2067 issue perhaps...but anything other than that and we'll be headed down a slippery slope.

Craig
I will agree with you, there is no need to change design on bank notes. There is enough problems (with vending machines etc.) as is when changing banknote design. Its also quite expensive as well, technology wise as all notes need to be counterfeit proof as well.
thunder-boy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:14:40 pm »

Iwould love to see commemerative notes!! Especially if they are printed on the $1 and $2 bills!!...(LOL)
Cause we all know how valuable mint products can be after the year or event is over!!
I love the look on dealers faces when someone brings in a whole bunch of 1867-1967 in gem unc.  On a positive note it might bring new collectors into the hobby

Buy the best and sell the PRESSED!!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

Personally I think there is enough to collect that I can't already afford...of course unless I buy the pressed notes ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
thunder-boy
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:09:49 pm »

Dear Squid, if you want some pressed notes give (censored by administrator) a call, they have lots and lots of manufactured notes!! Also if you give (censored by administrator)  a call they have notes being upgraded for the upcoming(censored by administator).
All the best on your purchasing. (PS i hope you buy up all the pressed notes so that only the truly unc are left for me!!!!...lol)

[edit]Removed incriminating comments --BWJM ;D[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:25:26 pm by BWJM »

thunder-boy
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:41:47 pm »

You take all the fun out of it brent...lololol

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:17:21 am »

Aside from a fear that we will have a new note design every 6 months, like some coins (25c), the issue I see as the biggest is that of counterfeiting.

If the public did not know every single detail of every note, then it would be a dream for counterfeiters.  They could slide in some bogus notes because people would not know A from B from C.  It seems to me that printing a note (although very elaborate) is much easier than punching a counterfeit coin.  I think it would be a criminal's dream, and the RCMP's nightmare.  Maybe I could get a job in their (RCMPs) counterfeit unit finally (if there is anyone reading this that has any pull, give me a message.

In summary: I would expect a monstrous increase in counterfeits.  That's bad.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:43:06 am »

I have to agree with Craig and say that we don't want our paper money heading down the same paths that the coins came from or are still continuing to come from.  Every time you turn around they have yet another specific type of coin issued again and again.  Not saying that there is not some very nice coins, I just don't think that we need all of that in our paper money as well.  I think the fewer the bills the better, it keeps the value high and the paper hobby very strong.

But that is just my opinion! 8)

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 10:36:38 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your comments...however, I believe that commemoratives could be done with the latest security devices.  The occasions for which they are printed should be significant enough to warrant it though.

It certainly would be nice to have something different in our folding money once and awhile.

Dean

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 08:27:49 pm »

Some countries add a line or two of text, or an overprint, to commemorate various important events. For example, the Falkland Islands issued a £5 note in 1983 with the special inscription "150TH ANNIVERSARY 1833-1983".

I personally wouldn't want to see too many Canadian commemorative notes ..... perhaps a special issue every 10 years or so? One must remember that Canadian currency is traded on a worldwide basis and if new notes kept coming out every year or so this could create confusion for tourists and money changers in other countries, as well as here.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 09:33:14 pm »

Honest
I have to agree with Craig and say that we don't want our paper money heading down the same paths that the coins came from or are still continuing to come from.  Every time you turn around they have yet another specific type of coin issued again and again.  Not saying that there is not some very nice coins, I just don't think that we need all of that in our paper money as well.  I think the fewer the bills the better, it keeps the value high and the paper hobby very strong.

But that is just my opinion! 8)

Jeff

Honestly, that's the exact reason why I don't collect coins as seriously as banknotes. All this constant hoopla over the new "special" coins they produce near constantly is boring, like watching an old dog do the same trick for the quadrillionth time.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:25:22 am »

the Chinese just issued 2 commemorative notes for the olympics

CMNWEALTH
  • One Chromosome between Insane and Genious !
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 12:33:30 am »

I'm still waiting for an early run of Amero's - Ho Hum - Back to my cubicle ...

*** No need to diversify when you print money ***

Login with username, password and session length