Author
Topic: BGS, PMG, PCGS, CCCS?? So confused.  (Read 6669 times)
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:26:28 pm »

Hi gang! So I went into this thread hoping to figure out and weigh the differences between all the different grading services. After reading most of these threads with comparisons etc I'm even more confused than before  :'(

I have quite a few Canadian special serial notes I would like to get graded as well as a few USD Star Notes.

I have the general understanding how the US grading companies are more generous with their gradings while at the moment the Canadian grading companies are a little tighter

I am not a rich man so im looking to find the middle ground between the best grading service for my notes that will give me the best bang for my buck!

Then there's also the cost factor of grading services, mailing, being a member of specific societies etc.

And my biggest and very last concern is that, although I know all these grading companies are reputable at the end of the day if I were to let go of my notes what is the generally preferred by collectors? I've heard people saying they'd never touch a certain grading service's notes but hopefully you guys can help me get a feel of what grading services people do like to 'touch' the most.

And should I stick with Canadian grading with Canadian grading services and US grading with US Grading services?  I don't know anything about the US Paper money market so if anyone has good exposure to it and can tell me how American collectors feel about US Notes graded by Canadian Grading services. The star notes I am trying to get graded are very very hard notes (only 64,000 printed) so its very important for me to choose the 'right' grading service.

and finally finally, are there local reps (in Toronto) for PMG and PCGS that I could have them submit the notes on my behalf? That way I wont need to spend $x on membership to numismatic societies in the US.

I know these are very very subjective but hopefully you guys can help!

NB. Just got reply back from BGS and they don't do USD notes so I guess ill take that into consideration.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:57:25 pm by Wizard1 »

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »

At the end of the day, all grading companies are pretty much the same because the majority of people (i.e. 50% + 1) prefer raw notes.

This is not a sarcastic reply.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:48:02 pm »

At the end of the day, all grading companies are pretty much the same because the majority of people (i.e. 50% + 1) prefer raw notes.

This is not a sarcastic reply.

I definitely agree...atleast you see exactly what you are getting in a raw note.
No plastic to hide anything...including smells.  And this is no joke...

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
CCCS
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:02:24 pm »

I will be at the Torex show this coming weekend should you want to meet me and discuss the issue.
I don't have a table but ask around all dealer know me and can point you in my direction.

Louis Chevrier (CCCS)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:18:03 pm »

If you ask six different people what their opinion is on third-party grading and what their preferred company is, you'll get different answers from each person. Everyone has their own opinions about this stuff.

My best advice is to go to a coin show or two and look around at what is being offered by dealers. Get a sense for which company seems to be most prevalent among dealers. Look at the notes and (as best you can) try to get a feel for how each company grades and whether or not you like that. Visit the websites of each company and look at their grading standards. Talk with representatives of each company and ask questions.

In the end, it comes down to one thing: your preference. Get educated by looking at what's out there so you can make an informed decision based on your own observations and not the hearsay and opinions of others.

PS: It's BCS not BGS, and you've missed CCGS from your list of third-party graders.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:23:26 pm »

I know these are very very subjective but hopefully you guys can help!

Hi Wizard,
If you have a fax machine send me an email   mikez@scsinternet.com

I have an article on TPG by Don Olmstead who is a very respected and well known dealer.  It will shed some light on many of your questions

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length