Author
Topic: What to buy with $1000.00?  (Read 5320 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:20:35 pm »

I have $1000.00 to spend.  What note or notes is it best spent on? Any ideas and if so why?

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:35:58 pm »

The best notes to spend it on are My notes!  ;D

Kidding. 

The real true answer to this question is this:
From an investment side:
If we actually knew what was going to shoot up in value, then we would already have bought it. So there is no good single answer exactly... meanwhile, we can read into market trends to determine how good some things might be.

From a collecting side though, buy what makes you happy.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:40:17 pm »

I really wasn't looking for an answer to make me money but more so what members would buy if they have a $1000.00 to freely spend.

FRIEDSQUID

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:58:58 pm »

Why don't you tell me all the notes you won't buy then ;D

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 02:29:57 pm »

I am a chartered guy and there are plenty of good ones in that category that I could recommend.

As most people prefer Dominion or BOC and you have a $1000 I would recomend the highest grade of Dominion notes or BOC 1935 you can get your hands on. Not only are they very popular but they are sure not to go down in price.

A nice Princess Pat or 1935 $10 would fit in that range. But try to go in grades EF and up as these are much more appealing to collectors

KC's Canadian Currency
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 03:15:01 pm »

I will spend 10 times more on this amount to buy a time machine go back to this Monday morning to UN-NEUTERING my daughter's puppy......  It seems hurt his feeling and he eat little for these two days with no sleeping last night ......
I have no right to take away his "stuff comes with born" .....
I am so selfish!

(ps --- I know it is out of the topic, but I know I was wrong)

Yuman
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:05:25 pm »

Hey Calamari me friend,

PD here.
Are you saying you got $1000 bucks to give away? Maybe no, but I thought deep of refurbishing my bass guitar and getting a new tuner too. Gonna have my friend imprint the picture of a BER radar Insert Journey $10 on my guitar with a couple clear poly coats on top.

Dei Gratia mon,
From the mon who mistook the phrase “Rolling the dough” rather than “Rolling in the dough”
 ;D

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 06:12:48 pm »

Already spent the $1000. Bought a used face plate and back plate of *V/V banknote and a one way ticket to Romania.  I will be posting my stuff on the TRADING POST as soon as I get there.

FRIEDSQUID

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 08:30:34 pm »

R_P wrote
The two things I wouldn't recommend to anyone are:

Lawson-Bouey X notes
test notes (all denoms and issues)

I don't see huge potential for $50 or $100 X notes but I would definitely put my money on:
L/B $1.00 AAX, EAX or AXA  (even the C/B EXA) as well as the very popular $2.00 ABX (both signatures & esp C/B)  I would say definitely go for the X notes (esp if R_P is advising against it!  ;D)

We've seen $1 and $2 test notes take a bit of beating...but I wouldn't give up on them entirely.  In fact, if they are a bit low in price right now than I would snap any higher grades you can find!  There will always be new collectors arriving on the scene, and test notes are VERY significant... a heck of a lot more collectible than the common insert replacements we see today!  L/B RS $5 test will cost you $1000 in VG!  and I don't think they're going to soften.  They're a lot scarcer than we think.  Don't forget that there's several replacement prefixes and often only 1 test prefix.  In the 1954 you cannot go wrong if you can get your hands on a G/R or E/R test note (any condition). The 70's test notes are the last of their kind.  (Incidently it always amazes me the way some will blow large coin over an insert range when there's so many identifiable rarer notes available!).  However I wouldn't be too excited over a 1979 (#33) test though its almost as pricey as the 1972 version.

I think some of the Birds are worth having: I can't say I understand the furor over the coloured BPN for the $5.00 but I wouldn't mind getting any Crow Bouey ENX or B/T FNX.  Also significant is the $10 Bonin Thiessen ATX (completely undervalued with 64000 printed & seldom seen) the T/C BDH (rarely offered).  The $20 do seem awfully common (and hard to get worked up over!)

I would never pay the price they want for an insert range note (either today's or the Birds).  Sinking some of that $1000 in a $10 BEL or 2003 $10 BER couldn't hurt (if you could find one).  These notes are extremely rare and no coin dealer needs to go blind searching INSERT ranges to see if the prefix is indeed uncommon. 

Obviously any of the 1954 replacements or DF's (esp the short run prefixes) are good investments in high grades.  I think the Beattie/Coyne's *asterisk replacement notes are all undervalued in Charlton & will significantly rise next issue.  Its rare to see some of the $5, $10 and $20 * notes.   Dominion and 1935's are always going up.  The Osborne 1937 are always a good investment too.

Cutting, serial number, and ghost errors are ever popular, as are any significant LOW #, million #, solid and 2 digit radars.

Good luck with that cash... Oh how I wish I had a good lump sum to blow!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:37:44 pm by walktothewater »

paperchase
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 06:09:48 pm »

I'm a Charter Bank man myself but for my $1,000.00, I'd buy 8 1954 Beattie\Coyne Modified prefix I/B crossovers, if you could find them(currently at $125.00 UNC). This note has a LONG way the go in terms of price. I've looked on ebay and at shows for the past 5 years...I've only seen 1 (graded AU) that a fellow %&#^$% member out bid me on. Only my humble opinion!
Rob
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 12:11:19 pm »

I'd buy 8 1954 Beattie\Coyne Modified prefix I/B crossovers, if you could find them(currently at $125.00 UNC).

I love change-overs too! Try to find the elusive BABN $5 R/C (90,000) which nicely coincides with CBN Beattie/Rasminski *R/C .  It must be one of the hardest change-overs to find.

But I think that collecting change-overs doesn't have the wide spread appeal of some of the rare bills I previously noted.  Its only in the last edition that Charlton acknowledges their desirability with premiums.  Collecting change-overs will likely become a lot more popular though.  Once collectors complete sets of certain finds, they usually diversify, and change-overs is one area that is growing fast.

As a collector, I would never buy 8 of any 1 kind of note, though I doubt you could find 8 sequential I/B or R/C's.  With pages that hold only 3 notes (even if you're a sequential collector) would it not be wise to collect sequentials in multiples of 3 (ie: 3, 6, or 9)?     Personally, I cannot fathom why anyone would want more than 3 of the same note (unless they planned to sell the extras).  But individual preferences is what makes the hobby so interesting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:14:40 pm by walktothewater »

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »

I agree that changeover is quite rare under 88,000 I would even to suggest to Brent to add it to the wiki site I can not remember the last time I saw one has anyone have one of these notes (pm me lol, but I will offer yoou a fair price in any condition)  they might be worth keeping track of

the 1937 Z/D Gordon // Towers is pretty scarce as well and there was 500,000 off those
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:25 pm »

I can't recall seeing the R/C change-over, the $2 I/B nor the $5 B/C *R/C (less than 8800) --one of the very few (scarce) asterisk signature change-overs.

JB-2007
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 12:08:14 pm »

I can't recall seeing the R/C change-over, the $2 I/B nor the $5 B/C *R/C (less than 8800) --one of the very few (scarce) asterisk signature change-overs.
There aren't many *R/Cs around but interestingly, the majority of the *R/Cs around are in UNC condition. I guess thats why they are still only worth around $500 today vs *L/S which has more printed but is going for almost double the price now. I actually think though that *L/S is rarer that *R/C. I have seen *R/C on occasion, but i have never seen *L/S yet. 
Now i would say the best note to pay $1,000 would be really on one of those really rare * notes. Perhaps one of the devils face replacements, or *Z/Z, *AA/*BC above 2.M, *FH, *AB, *FB, *DX all which have perhaps less than 50 known but then again most go for higher book value and in some cases goes well over $2,000. Its not unusual for one to pay as much as $2,000 for a *Z/Z in VF because of its extreme rarity.

Login with username, password and session length