Author
Topic: Hudson Bay Company Notes 1820-1857  (Read 5737 times)
prhymeate
« on: January 04, 2010, 06:38:54 pm »

Hi,

I have 26 of these notes and have tried to find out as much about them as possible. I was wondering if anyone could maybe shed some light on how much they might be worth. I have drawn up a table with as much info on them as I can get, the rarity number relates to the CNRS rarity scale which was provided to me by someone from the Hudsons Bay Company Archive Center a few years ago. I hope this is enough to go on to give a rough idea, if any additional information is required then feel free to ask. =)

{http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3624/hbcnotes.jpg}
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:59 pm »

Your notes are referenced in detail and are priced on pages 15 to 17 of the comprehensive reference work entitled "Canadian Merchant Scrip (A Charlton Standard Catalogue)" by R. J. Graham, Publisher W.K. Cross, 1st Edition, The Charlton Press, Toronto, 2007.

http://www.charltonpress.com/NumismaticsBook.asp?v_ISBN=9780889683297

Needless to say, you possess a very nice selection of Hudson's Bay Company paper money. Their value would depend strongly on condition but they would be worth at least $500 each, and possibly a lot more.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:33:53 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
prhymeate
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:29:50 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked through some of the book listings on that site earlier but was not sure which book would be best suited to the notes that I have. It's a pretty expensive book to just check 3 pages.  :-\

The notes are all in pretty good condition as far as I can tell but I don't have others to compare them to. I could take a few photos and put them on here though if they would be of any interest?

Where would be the usual place to start looking if I intended to sell the notes? I live in the UK but I'm assuming there would be more demand for them in Canada?

Thanks again.

edit: I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but I found one auction site where a 1820 5 shilling note sold for $1,300...

http://www.icollector.com/1820-Hudsons-Bay-Company-Five-Shillings_i8547005
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:56:08 am by prhymeate »
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:25:07 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked through some of the book listings on that site earlier but was not sure which book would be best suited to the notes that I have. It's a pretty expensive book to just check 3 pages.  :-\ .....

I would regard it as a pretty inexpensive book if the notes I owned were likely to be worth $15,000 and possibly much more lol! However, since you live overseas I'll check out your notes for you and send you an email.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:35:34 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
prhymeate
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

I would regard it as a pretty inexpensive book if the notes I owned were likely to be worth $15,000 and possibly much more lol! However, since you live overseas I'll check out your notes for you and send you an email.

lol, yea I realised that after I said it. I guess I'd just want to be certain I knew what to do with them as I'd have no idea where to take them if I wanted to sell them. As I mentioned a lot of them have 'cancelled' written on them so I'm not sure if that would change the value or not. I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look for me, thank you very much.  :)

edit: I have replied to your email, thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:00:58 pm by prhymeate »

Login with username, password and session length